Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
birdmentorcours
Community Member

How to change navigational link titles

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I am not sure I am using the correct terminology... but I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to change the name of one of the menu titles on the left side of the screen: Modules, Quizzes, Settings, etc??

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@birdmentorcours ​, those are the course navigation links - How do I use the Course Navigation Menu? - and without some back end programming (I believe CSS & javascript) by someone with Canvas admin privileges the names on those links can't be changed.

For more information on this topic here is the link to a great discussion about the pros and cons of changing the names of things in Canvas - Re: Changing Canvas terminology with Javascript?

View solution in original post

micciclr, after you've created and published the page in your course, copy its URL and follow the instructions provided in the resources here to create the navigation link for that page.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@birdmentorcours ​, those are the course navigation links - How do I use the Course Navigation Menu? - and without some back end programming (I believe CSS & javascript) by someone with Canvas admin privileges the names on those links can't be changed.

For more information on this topic here is the link to a great discussion about the pros and cons of changing the names of things in Canvas - Re: Changing Canvas terminology with Javascript?

Thanks Kona!!  I'll take a look at the resources you offered. 

I appreciate your response!!

micciclr
Surveyor

Some ability to customize the menu in Canvas would be a great added feature. I don't use most of the defaults in the course navigation and would like to make my own so that they are readily available to students instead of buried in pages, modules, etc. Can someone add this to a wishlist?

micciclr‌, instructors can add their own custom navigation links to the course menu with the Redirect Tool (How do I use the Canvas App Center in a course?)

Thanks, Stefanie. The problem with redirect, as I understand it, is that the pages appear when using a computer but not when using a mobile device. Since students use both, this doesn't seem a great solution.

micciclr, I asked one of our resident mobile experts,  @rseilham , about this, and he created this video (for iOS):

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Ryan also notes that if LTI is set to force a new tab, the students see the exact same thing on mobile and web.

So mobile doesn't present a barrier for use of the Redirect tool.

micciclr
Surveyor

Ok, what's shown on mobile is "redirect tool" rather than, in this case, Apple. The name of the page, which looks like it would be Apple (the video is super-fast, so I'm not sure I followed), is NOT shown on the mobile app. The generic "redirect tool" is shown--is that correct? If so, again, not great.

micciclr‌, I'd need to verify this with Ryan, but I suspect he simply called it "Redirect Tool" so that it would be obvious in the screencast.

Circling back. Can the redirect tool be used to add custom navigation to the menu that does NOT take users to an external website? That is, I want to create a menu item called Resources. I don't want to create a page because then the resources are buried in a page instead of being readily available in the navigation menu. Is there a way to do this?