cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcprosack
Surveyor

How to embed a screencastify video in a module

Jump to solution

I made a video in screencastify and want to embed it in a module in my class.  Could anyone provide steps on how I should do this?  I appreciate any assistance and guidance.

Dianne Prosack

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
buchsw
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hello, Dianne! If you want to embed a Screencastify video into a Canvas page, try following these directions:

1) Record your video using the Screencastify extension, and then click stop/end recording to finish creating the video.

2) A new tab should open, showing the preview of your video. On the right-hand side of the video you'll see the toolbar that has all of your sharing options - select "Get embed code", as shown below.

350908_pastedImage_1.png

3) On the new window that pops up, click on the "Copy embed code" button. The embed code is now copied to your clipboard.

4) Navigate back to your Canvas course, and specifically the page you wanted to insert the video into. Open the page into editing mode.

5) Find the Insert Media button and select the tab for "Embed"; from here, paste in the embed code that you copied earlier. Depending on which Rich Content Editor you're using (old or new), you'll find that Insert Media button in different places. If you need help using features of the Rich Content Editor, use these links (old vs. new RCE).

6) Click "Ok" in the prompt box, and your embedded video should insert directly to the Canvas page.

If you have any other clarifying questions or concerns, please let me know. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
jcarpenter1
Navigator

Hello  @dcprosack  .  You can embed the Screencastify URL link directly into the module.  (The plus sign to the far right of the module; add external URL.) https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26526-how-do-i-add-an-external-url-as-a-module-item   If you want the students to see the video inside Canvas, I'd recommend embedding the video on a page after you've added that page to a module.  

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your response to my question. I copied and pasted the screen castify link onto a page I had added to a module. The video itself does not show, only the link. How would I embed the link so that the video shows up? Thank you so much for your help with this.

Dianne Prosack

buchsw
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hello, Dianne! If you want to embed a Screencastify video into a Canvas page, try following these directions:

1) Record your video using the Screencastify extension, and then click stop/end recording to finish creating the video.

2) A new tab should open, showing the preview of your video. On the right-hand side of the video you'll see the toolbar that has all of your sharing options - select "Get embed code", as shown below.

350908_pastedImage_1.png

3) On the new window that pops up, click on the "Copy embed code" button. The embed code is now copied to your clipboard.

4) Navigate back to your Canvas course, and specifically the page you wanted to insert the video into. Open the page into editing mode.

5) Find the Insert Media button and select the tab for "Embed"; from here, paste in the embed code that you copied earlier. Depending on which Rich Content Editor you're using (old or new), you'll find that Insert Media button in different places. If you need help using features of the Rich Content Editor, use these links (old vs. new RCE).

6) Click "Ok" in the prompt box, and your embedded video should insert directly to the Canvas page.

If you have any other clarifying questions or concerns, please let me know. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Thank you for the steps Jennifer. Those steps helped tremendously. I was able to get the video to show in Canvas by following your guidelines, but it is really big. Do you know how to make the video smaller?

Dianne

buchsw
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Glad those helped! As far as size, I've never tried to adjust anything size-related to the video when I use the embed code. Instead, you can try to insert the video via the shareable link from Screencastify. Follow the same directions as above, but this time when you finish recording the video instead of getting the embed code select "Copy shareable link". The button looks like this: 

350920_pastedImage_1.png

Back in Canvas, insert media as you did before but this time don't click on embed - stay on the "General" tab. Paste in the video link that you just copied in the "Source" area. The Dimensions are pre-populated, but to help adjust size I would make sure that the "Constrain proportions" box is unchecked. After that, click on "Ok".

Your video will populate on the Canvas page, and what you can do by inserting this way is grab those small boxes on the corners of the video to resize how you'd like it.

350921_pastedImage_2.png

After you hit save, make sure the size of the video makes sense and looks the way you'd like it to...you can always re-edit and adjust the size to get it where you'd like it.

Thanks, let me know if you have any more questions/concerns!

Ok. Here's a crazy question. I'm using a macbook. I copied the link, but where did it go? I've looked in downloads and it's not there. Screencastify just says "copied", but I don't know where. Also, by general tab, do you mean computer? I have three options: computer, record, embed.

I really appreciate all of your help.

Dianne

buchsw
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

No worries, that's a great question! When you copy something on any device it typically copies to a "clipboard", which is just a background application that holds the last thing you've copied until you're ready to paste it wherever you want.

In regards to "General" tab, when you are in the Rich Content Editor in Canvas and you select the "Insert/Edit media" icon, the general tab is the first tab that pops up. It looks like this:

351103_pastedImage_1.png

That link that you copied from "Screencastify" (the one on your clipboard, that we just talked about) is what you would paste in the empty space next to "Source" in the image.

Hope this clears things up! If not let me know, I"m always happy to clarify.

Thank you for your help. I'll try again following your directions.

Dianne Prosack

gartner_gabriel
Community Member

I used the embed code and it works on my canvas page, but once students started to access the video, I got a flood of emails asking for "permission" to access the video from Google Drive. How do I make it so that students can view the video without asking for permission?