cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Incorrect link in observer notifications

When an assignment is unmuted observers (parents) of students get a notification of the grade and feedback. In this notification there is a link with directs observers to an empty page. Students however get the same link but in their view they are able to view grades and feedback. This is very annoying and displays incompetence in our ability to display the information. Asking parents to then click on 'grade' to view grades and feedback acknowledging that Canvas processes is wrong and is creating  a feeling of why?

Can't we change the link for Observers to redirect them to 'grades'.

Thanks

Eric

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Eric -

This worries me! As a K12 educator, I assume that the redirection from the notification goes to the correct space. Notifications are a great way to keep families connected, but they need to work efficiently.

I have a few questions for you before I dive in and try to replicate this.

• Does this error occur with every graded assignment/discussion, regardless if the mute/unmute feature is used?
  • Has this been the outcome of the notification for a long time, or is this a recent discovery?
  • When you refer to "notifications", do you mean email or push from Canvas Parent?

I hope that I can dive in and find some direction so we can collaborate and quickly find a solution. By chance, have you talked with your CSM or reached out to Canvas Support about the issue? If so, what did they share?

Highlighted

Hi Kristin

This is in regard to all notifications regarding graded/ungraded when a teacher inputs data in Speedgrader or whether the it was muted or not.

I spoke with my CMS last year and was told that this was correct (meaning that the link in the email notification that observers is as intended even though it is directing them to a blank page). This was reported early in 2017. Has this been fixed in the last couple of months I am unsure. Being from Australia the last task would have been updated last November and we are now in the new academic year (Week 4).

When I refer to notification it means parents get an email notification with a link.

Regards,

Eric

ERIC ROUSSEL

DIRECTOR OF ICT INTEGRATION AND ELEARNING

Canberra Girls Grammar School

Melbourne Ave, Deakin ACT 2600

T 02 6202 6400

E eric.roussel@cggs.act.edu.au<mailto:eric.roussel@cggs.act.edu.au>

Website<http://www.cggs.act.edu.au/> | Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/_CGGS> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/CanberraGirlsGrammarSchool>

Highlighted

Hi Eric -

I tested the notifications for an Observer last night. Through the notification email, the link brought me to the correct page and all of the correct information was present. It looked exactly like the submission details page a student sees -- with the submission, any comments, and the score/grade.

Let me know if a screenshot would be helpful. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks for your comments Kristin and Stefanie

I had to wait to get some more evidence as we are just in the first term of the school year and needed the first tasks to be handed out. I have four images. Two are email snapshots and two are the views after you click on the link. The last image is what we have been telling our parents which is not working at all. We ask them to ignore the email link and to select grades to view the results and the feedback. This is an example from one of our parents but this has been the norm since we started using Canvas for grades and feedback.

309155_email.JPG

309157_view from link.JPG

309159_email2.JPG

309160_view from link2.JPG

309161_Grades2.JPG

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Eric - As your term progressed, did your observers' experiences change? Have you tested this recently? ...either way, did you talk to your CSM or Canvas Support? I'd like to take a second look at this situation if you still need help!

Highlighted

Hi

We have discussed with our CSM and we have been told that all is working as expected. When observers receive an email that identifies that an assessment has been released (and to click here to see comments and grades) the provided link still takes them to the ‘assignment’ page which is blank. Parents then are required to follow on and click on ‘mark/grade’ to then view the information.

Regards,

Eric

Highlighted
Community Member

Our parents are seeing the same issue. I believe when they attempt to access the link via their email, it would require them to be logged into the canvas portal in order to view the content. If they log into the parent portal the email link will work.

The mobile app is a different story, if they click the link it opens their browser to a link that does not function (instead of launching the app)

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

We are having similar issues within our Canvas instance and what we've realized is that in order for parents to be able to access the assignment itself (which is what this link is redirecting to) they would need a #single sign on account which our district does not provide to parents.