cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tlovelac
Surveyor

Is there a way to not have a graded pre-term quiz apply to graded quizzes, so I’m wondering if there’s some other way to not have pre-term quiz score be excluded from the course grade.

Is there a way to exclude a pre-term "graded quiz” from my student’s overall score in the Canvas grade book?

I want to have Canvas do the grading and item analysis but I don’t want the score to be used in the course grade..

I looked at the page https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-7992-how-do-i-exclude-an-assignment-from-the-courses-final-... and it says that it does not apply to graded quizzes, so I’m wondering if there’s some other way to not have pre-term quiz score be excluded from the course grade.

Thank you.

Tracy Lovelace

Bakersfield College

4 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @tlovelac ‌ -

Arguably the easiest way, IF you are using weighted assignment groups already (check here for more on that topic: How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups? ) is to just create a new group with an appropriate name and make it worth 0% of the final grade.  

Otherwise, since it's a already a graded quiz there is not a really super-great way to pull this off short of making every question worth 0 points.  (Which could be a solution, since you would at least still see how they answered each question, but every score will be zero.)  But it sounds like you already have the quiz created, judging from your question.

In theory, you can MUTE the quiz altogether (more here:  How do I mute or unmute an assignment in the Gradebook? ) but that's NOT really recommended for many reasons, and in fact the documentation page that I linked to mentions this: "Muting should only be used to temporarily block grading work in progress from student view. It should not be used to conceal grades for longer than reasonably necessary."

For one thing, students will see that it's muted and may expect a grade eventually.  More importantly (from your perspective) a muted assignment will still register a grade in YOUR view of the Gradebook, even if it's not for the students, in the TOTAL column.

So, weighting would be one way to go, though a few wiser minds in the Community may have some of their own inventive work-arounds for this.

Thank you so much for the quick response Ken.

tdelillo
Community Member

One easy way to do this would be to put the pre-term quiz in its own assignment group, and weight that assignment group as 0% of the total grade.

Thank you so much for the quick response Tracey (Tracey with an e).