cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laura_gogia1
Community Member

Mastery Paths Bugs

Jump to solution

I have developed an escape room module that uses mastery paths as the basis for students moving through review materials. However, we have several issues with mastery paths that make it unusable in this fast-paced context

• There is a long lag before Canvas loads the mastery path after a quiz. If students push the Next button too quickly it kicks them out to the Modules directory.
  • Sometimes the Next button is missing even if the student passes the quiz. 

We have worked with Canvas support and rebuilt the escape room module but are still having the same problems despite the rebuilt.  Can someone help?

Thanks in advance. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

An update to my comment above ... as we've sorted this issue with the help of our engineering team, and L2 support.  I fear I may have been too hasty in my comment above so wanted to provide an update.

Essentially we had three families in our course, each with their own module, content and quizzes.  The idea was that the learner had to go through one of the families, but could go through all three if they wanted to.  Within each family we had a quiz - if they did well in the quiz they skipped some content if they didn't they were taken to an additional page of content (all using mastery paths).  Our complication was that we were using the same quiz in each of the three families.

The problem turned out to be that Canvas didn't know which module to return to after the quiz was submitted and therefore went nowhere and didn't show the next button.

Our only resolution was to create unique quizzes for each family. On the plus side this worked, on the negative side the learner has to take the quiz for each family, whereas we wanted them to be able to skip it if they'd passed it earlier.

Barbara

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@laura_gogia1 , I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem! What has support said in terms of why you are experiencing this issue and what did they think would fix it? Redoing it? Have you reopened the ticket to let them know you are still having this issue? If not, then I'd definitely do that!

Kona

Hi Kona,

We have put in a ticket and we redid the site, but the problem is with mastery paths. It takes a very long time to load. I was hoping that bringing some attention to the issue- and making sure that Canvas knew it is a “real” limitation - would somehow put it higher on the priority list for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone

nancy_lachance
Community Member

This is definitely unacceptable. I have configured a course with Mastery Paths and the issues are making the course highly problematic.  This is a course meeting a state requirement that students take quizzes on their "online learning skills" and receive remediation for any areas in which they are week.  I have set up modules for each quiz and remediation. Students who "fail" the quiz get the remediation and then a confirmation. Because the quizzes are taking so long to process, the course is not working.  I am submitting a ticket as well, but after this having been released for so long it is a huge concern that the functionality is not really usable. 

Yes! this is driving me mad. Please can you up like this 'idea' https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14292-no-refreshing-to-progress-on-mastery-paths?

sdavick
Community Member

This was NOT the case last year. We have used Mastery Paths extensively and our students were always assigned their new assignments immediately upon submitting their quiz.

Now more often than not, we get the message that Mastery Paths are locked until the quiz has been graded. The problem is that he quiz grades automatically and IS already graded. 

This is making our course a nightmare. We rely on Mastery Paths to make our course work.

Sara - We are seeing a definite issue in our Mastery Course as well.  We have multiple students getting "stuck" in progress - for no reason at all. You can see that the quiz has a score - but the path does not progress. This has been creating havoc with the prospective students who must get through this mastery course as part of their admissions process.  Totally a nightmare.

(We do have a ticket and it has been assigned up to the engineers, but we are getting piecemeal, one-off answers rather than a true fix.)  

venitk
Adventurer

A long-shot--is the quiz that launches the mastery path hidden? In other words, if it's set to Manual grade posting, or if the grade is hidden, could this stop students from progressing? Last summer, the manual posting prevented some of my students from retaking a test (if they were allowed 4 attempts, or whatever, they couldn't proceed past the first attempt if the quiz is set to manual). 

Just an idea. 

sdavick
Community Member

Unfortunately, no. Most of the time the quiz that launches the mastery path grades automatically. The grade is posted immediately upon submission.

We do sometimes use quizzes with questions that need to be graded manually. We have have seen this issue from time to time with those quizzes also, but usually once the manually graded questions hae been scored, the Mastery Path assignments open.

barbaracoen
Learner II

We are seeing the same behaviour and it's now October - 7 months since this thread was started. Effectively makes Mastery Paths unusable.... unless I'm missing something.