cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wmorgan1
Community Member

Quiz Answers

Jump to solution

I want to write a question that has multiple fill in the blank answers.

The days of the weekend are _____ and ______.

The answers are:

1) Saturday (or Sat)

2) Sunday (or Sun)

To get full credit they need to write:

1) Saturday

2) Sunday

or

1) Sat

2) Sun

or

1) Sat

2) Sunday

or

1) Saturday

2) Sun

However, they get half credit if they write:

1) Saturday

2) Sat

or

1) Sunday

2) Sun

How do I do this? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @wmorgan1  Welcome to the Canvas Community, though I am sorry to say that there is really no way to do this other than by going through each response and manually adjusting the student's score, either by adjusting the point value awarded in a specific question or by using fudge points.  While you can certainly type in all of the responses that you will accept (for full credit) in the quiz, as outlined in How do I create a Fill-in-Multiple-Blanks quiz question? , there is not a way to give partial credit for specific responses.  While there is a new quiz engine that is being introduced that your institution may be on, a quick look at the appropriate page for that new engine (called Quizzes.Next) which is here: How do I create a Fill in the Blank question in Quizzes.Next? also does not seem to indicate there is a way to do this.  

So the bottom line is you will pretty much have to go through the results yourself to award partial credit for specific answers.  (Another possibility is to just convert it to a multiple-dropdown type of question where students select the answers from a listing. There you can't do partial credit, either, but only because the student sees a listing of answers to select from.)

Hope this helps a bit, William, even if it's not the answer you're looking for.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @wmorgan1  Welcome to the Canvas Community, though I am sorry to say that there is really no way to do this other than by going through each response and manually adjusting the student's score, either by adjusting the point value awarded in a specific question or by using fudge points.  While you can certainly type in all of the responses that you will accept (for full credit) in the quiz, as outlined in How do I create a Fill-in-Multiple-Blanks quiz question? , there is not a way to give partial credit for specific responses.  While there is a new quiz engine that is being introduced that your institution may be on, a quick look at the appropriate page for that new engine (called Quizzes.Next) which is here: How do I create a Fill in the Blank question in Quizzes.Next? also does not seem to indicate there is a way to do this.  

So the bottom line is you will pretty much have to go through the results yourself to award partial credit for specific answers.  (Another possibility is to just convert it to a multiple-dropdown type of question where students select the answers from a listing. There you can't do partial credit, either, but only because the student sees a listing of answers to select from.)

Hope this helps a bit, William, even if it's not the answer you're looking for.

View solution in original post