cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dspencer
Community Member

Quiz log interpretation

Jump to solution

Can you help me understand the attached screen shots of quiz logs.  I'm particularly interested in how the quiz can be "resumed" without a prior "stopped viewing" event.  Also it seems that there are instances when there is a answer submitted after at "stopped viewing" event but before a "resumed" event.

image.png

image.png

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

8 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
dspencer
Community Member

Thanks Chris.  That doesn't really help interpret the log.  It just shows me how to get it pulled up.  Thanks for trying though.

View solution in original post

tknapp
Community Member

Hi  @dspencer ​,

I did some testing in a sandbox course and here's what I found:

It seems like there are three times the "Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page" message occurs; when you're inactive within Canvas (after 30 seconds), when your mouse is inactive in a window outside of Canvas (after 15 seconds) and when you actually click outside of Canvas.

The "Resumed" message occurs when you move your mouse after being inactive or when you click back within Canvas after being active in another window.

I think the "Reviewed (and possibly read)" message is tied to scrolling through the questions and/or if your mouse hovers over a specific question.

Here's some more information from a prior questions Re: View Log Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking window?

I hope this helps!

Tim

tdelillo
Community Member

I would add that the logs are somewhat inaccurate and not a solid picture of what the user is doing during the quiz. I did extensive testing when this feature first came out, even to the point of doing a screen cast of my quiz taking so I could compare the time stamp on the recording with the time stamps in the quiz logs. It was disappointing. I haven't seen improvements. I dissuade faculty from using it to try to "prove" anything regarding the student's quiz-taking behavior.

dspencer
Community Member

I guess I'm not sure what the point is of this feature is then. If it isn't accurate and give me anything reliable what is its intended purpose?

If I have 20 pages of stops and starts does that not tell me the student is leaving the exam multiple times?

Thank you for breaking down the three possibilities as to why "Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page" message occurs.  There is a big difference between a student sitting idle (possibly pondering a question) and actually clicking a new browser (most likely cheating).  Is there any way for Canvas to differentiate between these two actions?  It's easy for students to cheat on online quizzes and this log can be a valuable tool in proving whether a student went to another page during a test.  I wouldn't want to accuse a student of cheating if they were just idle on the page!

@lindsay_henry , this is a good question and I agree it would be HUGELY beneficial!

Is there any way for Canvas to differentiate between these two actions? It's easy for students to cheat on online quizzes and this log can be a valuable tool in proving whether a student went to another page during a test. I wouldn't want to accuse a student of cheating if they were just idle on the page!

If they can tell the difference, they don't indicate it on the test log or anywhere else that Admin's (or teachers) would have easy access to.

I did a quick search and found this archived feature idea that sounded similar to what you are wanting - - my recommendation is to revive it as a new feature idea and add the extra information you'd also like to have included on the log.

@kona ‌ You mentioned we can use the log to see if students were working on the quiz and "got cut off." How do you know if this happened? What would the log entry appear as?

I had a student say that she got cut off from a test. She completed the test within in the window so that was not the issue. 

My situation is different and I'm hoping someone can help me.  I'd love to view the log I've followed the directions and where the VIEW LOG should be - it doesn't exist!  I'd love to check up on a student.  HELP! Is there something I need to do in settings to make that appear?

28 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dspencer ​...

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but have you taken a look at this Canvas Guide?  How do I view a quiz log for a student?  It might give you some insights on your question.

dspencer
Community Member

Thanks Chris.  That doesn't really help interpret the log.  It just shows me how to get it pulled up.  Thanks for trying though.

tknapp
Community Member

Hi  @dspencer ​,

I did some testing in a sandbox course and here's what I found:

It seems like there are three times the "Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page" message occurs; when you're inactive within Canvas (after 30 seconds), when your mouse is inactive in a window outside of Canvas (after 15 seconds) and when you actually click outside of Canvas.

The "Resumed" message occurs when you move your mouse after being inactive or when you click back within Canvas after being active in another window.

I think the "Reviewed (and possibly read)" message is tied to scrolling through the questions and/or if your mouse hovers over a specific question.

Here's some more information from a prior questions Re: View Log Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking window?

I hope this helps!

Tim

Thank you for breaking down the three possibilities as to why "Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page" message occurs.  There is a big difference between a student sitting idle (possibly pondering a question) and actually clicking a new browser (most likely cheating).  Is there any way for Canvas to differentiate between these two actions?  It's easy for students to cheat on online quizzes and this log can be a valuable tool in proving whether a student went to another page during a test.  I wouldn't want to accuse a student of cheating if they were just idle on the page!

@lindsay_henry , this is a good question and I agree it would be HUGELY beneficial!

Is there any way for Canvas to differentiate between these two actions? It's easy for students to cheat on online quizzes and this log can be a valuable tool in proving whether a student went to another page during a test. I wouldn't want to accuse a student of cheating if they were just idle on the page!

If they can tell the difference, they don't indicate it on the test log or anywhere else that Admin's (or teachers) would have easy access to.

I did a quick search and found this archived feature idea that sounded similar to what you are wanting - - my recommendation is to revive it as a new feature idea and add the extra information you'd also like to have included on the log.

Hi  @tknapp ,

Thanks for your testing of this back in 2016. Have there been any updates? I just checked the Guide and there isn't any new information. I have a faculty member considering that a student cheated due to time gaps between each question and it looks like the Quiz Logs are still not clear enough to know for sure if they were cheating or just pausing to think before answering a question.

I'm going to put a tix into Support but wanted to reach out to you because you are experts who might reply faster!

Thank you!

Amy

My situation is different and I'm hoping someone can help me.  I'd love to view the log I've followed the directions and where the VIEW LOG should be - it doesn't exist!  I'd love to check up on a student.  HELP! Is there something I need to do in settings to make that appear?

True. I can not also see the View log as described. Has the feature been removed? Or is there anything we have to install before we can access and use it? Please reply.

tdelillo
Community Member

I would add that the logs are somewhat inaccurate and not a solid picture of what the user is doing during the quiz. I did extensive testing when this feature first came out, even to the point of doing a screen cast of my quiz taking so I could compare the time stamp on the recording with the time stamps in the quiz logs. It was disappointing. I haven't seen improvements. I dissuade faculty from using it to try to "prove" anything regarding the student's quiz-taking behavior.