cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Rubric editing outside Canvas and changing rubric points?

I find the editing tool on the rubrics to be very difficult. Our rubrics are set up to provide comment on different levels of achievement, so the criteria in each cell is actually quite long. I cannot view the entire text while editing the rubric (and something I just did moved shifted my columns over!).  I am very frustrated with this tool and wonder if their is anyway to export/import the rubric to an outside editing screen (like excel) and then re-import.  It's also very frustrating for me that a new rubric has to be created every time the point value changes on my assignment.  I've been reading a lot about Outcomes and wonder if our long criteria should be in outcomes, but don't see how the student will be able to view the appropriate feedback.  For example, below is a screen shot of the rubric we are using for graduate discussion posts; these rubric are in our syllabi and have become standard grading criteria across our programs.  Additionally, each professor may have different point totals with this (mine are worth 3 points but if my colleague has one worth 100 points, we have to re create with the new point  values, which brings us back to the editing issue). Our old BB rubrics enabled us to create a master rubric with column headings as well as row criteria and assign various points as needed. Any suggestions appreciated; I don't like spending my Sundays fighting with the Canvas rubric editing tool!

grad.jpg 

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kontrse@mobap.edu​...

Re: the length of your descriptions for your ratings scale...  I've run into the same issue in the past.  Sometimes we have courses at our Technical College where the description for a value of 5, 4, 2, 0 (for example) are quite long...and that really pushes the criteria (first column) way over to the left.  I've not really found a good way to get around this, unfortunately.  In the past, there have been a couple of Feature Ideas that have been submitted, but they didn't move forward to the next stage in the voting process because of the lack of votes (in fact, one idea got negative votes):

Re: being able to import a rubric from, say, an Excel file into Canvas.  This isn't a feature of Canvas that currently exists, but there have been Feature Ideas for these as well which have now been archived.

Importing rubrics?

(This was my own Feature Idea which got well over the 100 necessary votes, but it was still archived.  See the notes from Instructure under my idea submission for their reasoning.)

Finally, this Feature Idea is one that has been submitted and will be open for voting on February 3rd.  Hopefully people will vote for this idea.  You might want to bookmark that one for yourself.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi kontrse@mobap.edu, I use rubrics that are very similar to yours, with long descriptions in each cell, and when I first started using Canvas nearly five years ago, I was immediately struck by the fact that the contents of each cell govern the alignment in that particular row. Coming from Bb and its predecessors as you did, I was momentarily disconcerted, but quickly came to realize the utility and elegance of this design feature for display and grading purposes. Indeed, I was frustrated by Bb's insistence that all columns in a rubric had to be the same width, thereby creating a virtual death scroll when it came to navigating those rubrics. By contrast, while it may be frustrating to edit such a rubric in Canvas, once you've got it done, it's a joy to use in SpeedGrader. Click, click, click, click--done. And, because these rubrics display prominently under every assignment (but not under every discussion--more on this to follow), students love being able to read all the criteria to know exactly how I will assess their work.

Another benefit to the uneven cell widths is that rows can contain differing numbers of criteria. For example, my course-level outcomes have five criteria, whereas my account or institutional-level outcomes have only three. Canvas rubrics accommodate and present these differences nicely. (This is by way of explaining the negative vote total thus far garnered by ). As far as I know, Bb rubrics don't do this (although it's been a while since I looked at that, so that might have changed.)

I agree that the editing process for rubrics like ours could be improved, and I hope you will vote up and add your use case to the comments when the feature idea opens for voting this week. I am also looking forward to seeing progress on the front. It would be wonderful to see bigger cells for long descriptions like ours.

I also wanted to mention that the location of rubrics vis-à-vis discussions is a bit obscure. Students will not immediately see the rubric displayed; they have to navigate to the discussion, click on the gear icon that appears to the right of the topic, and click on Show Rubric to view the rubric that will be used to assess their contributions to the discussion. So, you might want to include a screencast in your courses so that students will know where to find their grading criteria. Alternatively, your instructors might choose to include a screenshot of the rubric in the discussion prompt.

Last, I've changed the format of the post to a discussion, since the prompt is designed to elicit suggestions about workflows and feedback rather than a single "correct answer."

Highlighted

Thanks for the responses! I think my original message was muddled by my frustration yesterday.  The column width doesn't bother me;  my problem is that something I accidentally clicked on moved my last column to the middle.  There's no "undo" button and I have yet to figure out how to do this on purpose! I do use the rubrics in Speedgrader and for the most part find them easy to use. 

My issues are two-fold 1) the actual editing of the rubric and 2) the need to edit a rubric every time point values change in an assignment.

The editing window for a cell does not give you the ability to view the whole description.  When you push the edit pencil, you get a very small window that will only display 20 or so characters, not the entire paragraph.  I find I have multiple typos when I finish editing that I have to go back and re-edit, deal with the small text window, find more typos, etc. [There are some commonalities in many of our rubrics that I thought would make it easier just to edit rather than  create new, although now I doubt the wisdom of this.  For example, our case analysis rubric and article review rubric are similar in their performance descriptions but have some specific language in each.  Editing a few words half way down the paragraph when you can only few a word or two at a time is difficult].  

The point value issue is more problematic.  If everyone used 100 point assignment and weighted the grades in the gradebook, I guess this wouldn't be such a big deal, but I (and most of my colleagues) do not assign points that way.  For example, I use 100 scale and pre-weight my assignments, so a Case Analysis in one class might be 5 points (5% of the grade) and in another may be 10 points (10% of the grade), or even in the same class, I may have a longer case that carries more weight.  The rubric has to edited for each new point value assigned, which is very time-consuming.

I could not grade efficiently without the rubrics, especially my online classes, so I obviously cannot abandon them but I sure do wish a few features were easier to use.

Highlighted

kontrse@mobap.edu:

[M]y problem is that something I accidentally clicked on moved my last column to the middle.

By default, Canvas rubrics will order cells by point value, so if you inadvertently lowered the points available for a particular cell, the cells in that row will re-order themselves. (An entire column shouldn't move, however, and frankly, I've never seen that!)

The editing window for a cell does not give you the ability to view the whole description.  When you push the edit pencil, you get a very small window that will only display 20 or so characters, not the entire paragraph.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Smiley Happy As I said earlier, I hope this is one of the issues addressed in the rubrics overhaul.

The point value issue is more problematic.  If everyone used 100 point assignment and weighted the grades in the gradebook, I guess this wouldn't be such a big deal, but I (and most of my colleagues) do not assign points that way.  For example, I use 100 scale and pre-weight my assignments,

After much trial and error, I too use a 100-point scale for all my rubrics, and I then use the weighted assignment groups feature to determine how each discussion or assignment will contribute to the overall course grade. It's important to note here that the reason I like 100 points is that I can then use point ranges within the cells to fine-tune grades; not every submission will get the full number of points for a particular criterion. But, keep in mind that Canvas rubrics don't currently accommodate ranges, so when you're grading in SpeedGrader, if you click on a cell, and then adjust the points for that row, the cell will "un-highlight" itself. To account for this, you will need to click the appropriate cell and then adjust the grade in the top field--the overall grade for the assignment--not in the rubric itself.

It's different, to be sure, and not without problems, but overall I wound up liking Canvas rubrics much more than the ones I used in previous LMSs--and I believe changes (improvements!) are coming down the pike.

Highlighted

"By default, Canvas rubrics will order cells by point value, so if you inadvertently lowered the points available for a particular cell, the cells in that row will re-order themselves. (An entire column shouldn't move, however, and frankly, I've never seen that!)"

Aha!  Thanks; I think this is what it was doing.  I changed a bunch of points in succession and probably didn't notice the move until they were done.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

kontrse@mobap.edu​, I know this doesn't specifically address your needs for more flexibility when editing a rubric (and yes, I'd love that as well!), but this is a great work-around if you ever need to reorder your rubric rows - Sorting Rubrics Made Easy. In addition, I would recommend voting and commenting on the different rubric feature ideas Chris mentioned. Feature ideas are pretty helpful and are the best way to get something changed in Canvas.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you're interested in this topic you might be interested in a new canvancement‌ by james@richland.edu‌ that allows you to create a rubric in a spreadsheet and import it into Canvas - Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet.

Labels