cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Separate groups for testing - especially EL students?

I have a teacher in my building who want to put her EL students in a separate group for testing and for some assignments so that she can easily adapt to student needs.  The Groups feature seems to only function for assigning work to groups in a way that makes the assignment a multi-person task.  Obviously, this is not a good idea for most testing.

SO, how can we easily separate students in a class for assigning different tests or assignments?

17 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

You can use a group on the Assign option.  So where  it says Everyone by default, you put in the group name you want to use and only those people get the assignment.  I have teachers that use that for students with specific accommodations.  

Highlighted

I just tested that and the Groups I created do not show up in the list even

if I type the name of the group or groups set.

Highlighted

We do this regularly but they have to be assignment groups not people groups.  You create the group from the Assignments link.  Right next to the +Assignment button, there is a +Group button.  Sorry for the confusion.

Highlighted

I see.

But I don't see how that solves the problem of issuing the quiz to students

based on groups I have put them in. The assign-to section does not give us

any options except to select class sections (if the teacher has

cross-listed), the entire class, or individual students. I cannot easily

assgn a test (or other assignment) to a small groups of individuals in a

class. I must select them in individually.

Highlighted

Our groups do not show up in the Assign-to section. We only see individual

students, entire classes, and sections (if teachers have cross-listed.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:19 AM, stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

Highlighted

If you created the group from the People link, they will not show up in assignments.  They must be groups you created on the Assignments list.  We have had some classes where the teacher had to type a large portion of the name before it would show but never had it not work.  You may want to watch this that was created recently in the series on the various kinds of groups.   

Highlighted

I will have to watch the video when I can block out the time.  The steps you describe produce no usable results.  I can type the entire name of an assignment group and I get "No results found."

BTW, the live videos are really interesting for me, but most teachers will not watch them because of length.  While I realize that it is a time-consuming process.  These really need to be edited to user friendly length.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, rswengel@perryschools.org ...

I noticed that there hasn't been any recently activity in this particular discussion thread since June 6, so I thought that I would check in with you to see how things are going re: your above question.  It looks like you've had some conversations with tross‌.  I'm curious to know if you've now found a resolution to this?  Or, are there still any outstanding issues that you're needing assistance with?  If you feel that one of the above responses above has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  But, if you're still looking for some help, please post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you.  Also, if you've found a solution (or a temporary work-around), would you be willing to share that here in the Community with us?  For now, since we've not seen any new activity in this thread since June 6, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  However, that won't prevent you or others from adding additional comments or questions below.  I hope that's okay with you, Richard.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Highlighted

No progress with this. Admittedly though, it has taken a back seat to

other priorities.

Rick

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM, chofer@morainepark.edu <