cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Uploaded images no longer function in Safari

Jump to solution

Uploading and embedding images in Canvas during last academic term worked fine...

[Addendum: Following suggestion from browser guide, I tried using in a Safari "private window." That workaround revealed the images. I've cleared cache and history, and the problem in a normal window remains.]

Now, the images I had uploaded into the course images folder no longer appear--in the desktop Safari environment (ver. 13.1). They are working on the Canvas iPhone app and in desktop Firefox (ver. 74) browser. This is true for courses successfully run last term AND courses I'm creating for the term that starts next week.

I have cleared desktop Safari's history and cache. Here's what I'm seeing"

• Course home page banner:

coure home page image

• Embed images window showing the icon. Note the images that came in with the template import are fine. They also embed just fine if I choose to use those instead. It's just the images I uploaded into the Canvas course that are unavailable--though they USED to be.

embed images window

• And here's what it looks like when I go to the Files course images folder. The two images with blank thumbnails are images I uploaded. Again, this is true for course I created last quarter AND for this coming quarter.

course images folder

Any guidance on this will be helpful as I create content and assessment for music that are image intensive!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

In early April, Apple released Safari updates that included a major update to a feature called Intelligent Tracking Protection (ITP). This feature implements new limitations to resources like files that are loaded on pages from a third-party site, and it behaves differently than similar systems implemented in other browsers like Chrome and Firefox.

This update affected the mechanism that Canvas uses to securely host and transmit uploaded files, including images. Users may experience files that fail to download, or images that fail to display. This behavior is due to redirection in the authentication implementation of Canvas’ secure file system, which Safari detects as a “third-party” site because it resides on a different domain.

Our engineering teams are actively investigating solutions to this issue, but a timeline is not yet available.

In the meantime, there are two workarounds:

• For users who have access to another browser like Chrome, Firefox, or Edge, those browsers do not experience this issue. Using one of these alternative browsers is the recommended solution.

• For users who only have access to Safari, temporarily disabling the “Prevent cross-site tracking” option in the browser privacy settings will restore Canvas functionality. Users may wish to only disable this option temporarily while using Canvas, and then re-enable it before using other sites. More information on this setting is available here: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/prevent-cross-site-tracking-sfri40732/mac

View solution in original post

42 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Same question for me. Images in Safari no longer show. They work fine in other browsers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Yep, same issue with me. No images in Safari (even cleared cache and history), but they show in Chrome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator II

Thanks to everyone who has commented here thus far. If you haven't already, would each of you please submit tickets to Canvas Support? How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?‌ provides general instructions, but if your school has provided its own pathway to support, please used that to initiate the case. Having as many cases as possible to inspect will make it easier for our support team to investigate and address this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello All,

I have the same issue. I have figured out a workaround:

Safari Security Preferences

Disable "Prevent cross-site tracking" in Safari preferences.

I believe the issues is that uploaded images in Canvas are technically posted on a different site (and have very long complex urls). I think this is being interpreted by Safari as "cross-site" tracking. I will submit a ticket with this information.

Highlighted
Navigator II

Thanks, seddonc@scc.losrios.edu‌! That extra evidence will be very helpful to our support team.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

We had a student who couldn't see images in her quiz questions and she was using Safari.  I provided her with this answer and it worked.  Thanks for sharing. 

Jamie Ackley

Highlighted

Has there been any progress made towards a solution on this issue?  I submitted a ticket a month ago and never heard a word.  Trying to get students to use a "work around" is not really a solution.  

Highlighted
Navigator II

jennifer.leimer@mgccc.edu‌, please request updates through the ticket you initiated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Labels