cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Uploaded images no longer function in Safari

Jump to solution

Uploading and embedding images in Canvas during last academic term worked fine...

[Addendum: Following suggestion from browser guide, I tried using in a Safari "private window." That workaround revealed the images. I've cleared cache and history, and the problem in a normal window remains.]

Now, the images I had uploaded into the course images folder no longer appear--in the desktop Safari environment (ver. 13.1). They are working on the Canvas iPhone app and in desktop Firefox (ver. 74) browser. This is true for courses successfully run last term AND courses I'm creating for the term that starts next week.

I have cleared desktop Safari's history and cache. Here's what I'm seeing"

• Course home page banner:

coure home page image

• Embed images window showing the icon. Note the images that came in with the template import are fine. They also embed just fine if I choose to use those instead. It's just the images I uploaded into the Canvas course that are unavailable--though they USED to be.

embed images window

• And here's what it looks like when I go to the Files course images folder. The two images with blank thumbnails are images I uploaded. Again, this is true for course I created last quarter AND for this coming quarter.

course images folder

Any guidance on this will be helpful as I create content and assessment for music that are image intensive!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @betsy_jones try these steps (they worked for me):

Apple has recently updated one of the privacy controls in Safari, which is causing problems with image display in Canvas. If you are using the Safari browser to access Carmen, whether on a Mac or on an iPad/iPhone, you need to check your preferences to ensure that the images will be properly displayed.

On Mac

1. Open Safari
  2. Go to the Safari menu and select "Preferences…"
  3. Click into the Privacy tab
  4. Uncheck "Prevent cross-site tracking"
  5. Close the Preferences window and continue normally

On iOS:

1. Open the Settings app
  2. Scroll down the list of headings on the left and choose Safari
  3. Uncheck "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" (under Privacy & Security)
  4. You can now use Safari normally

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Please follow What are the browser and computer requirements for... - Canvas Community 

Note: Safari 13.1 contains an update that may cause issues with downloading files and chat alerts in Canvas. Canvas engineers are currently working on a solution for this issue. Until then, you may avoid errors with files and alerts by disabling cross-site tracking prevention in Safari when using Canvas. If disabling cross-site tracking doesn't resolve these issues, please try one of the other supported browsers.

0 Kudos
74 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Same question for me. Images in Safari no longer show. They work fine in other browsers.

Highlighted

Hi @betsy_jones try these steps (they worked for me):

Apple has recently updated one of the privacy controls in Safari, which is causing problems with image display in Canvas. If you are using the Safari browser to access Carmen, whether on a Mac or on an iPad/iPhone, you need to check your preferences to ensure that the images will be properly displayed.

On Mac

1. Open Safari

On iOS:

1. Open the Settings app

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Confirming that this does not work, as others have pointed out.

Only solution I've found, other than using a different browser (not really a solution, but short- (now medium-) term way to sidestep the problem) is to upload the images again to the course in question, which does make images viewable.

Highlighted
Community Member

Yep, same issue with me. No images in Safari (even cleared cache and history), but they show in Chrome.

Highlighted

Hi @dmello2 Try these steps, they worked for me:

On Mac

1. Open Safari

On iOS:

1. Open the Settings app
Highlighted

Hello, I'm having this issue and I have seen the solution where we have to uncheck the "Prevent cross-site tracking" box. I have done that and cleared cache and cookies. I have restarted my browser and laptop as well. But this solution still didn't work for me. Any ideas? I contacted Canvas Support and waited for 2.5 hrs and the only solution they gave me was to download "Chrome".

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks to everyone who has commented here thus far. If you haven't already, would each of you please submit tickets to Canvas Support? How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?‌ provides general instructions, but if your school has provided its own pathway to support, please used that to initiate the case. Having as many cases as possible to inspect will make it easier for our support team to investigate and address this.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hello All,

I have the same issue. I have figured out a workaround:

Safari Security Preferences

Disable "Prevent cross-site tracking" in Safari preferences.

I believe the issues is that uploaded images in Canvas are technically posted on a different site (and have very long complex urls). I think this is being interpreted by Safari as "cross-site" tracking. I will submit a ticket with this information.

Highlighted

Thanks, seddonc@scc.losrios.edu‌! That extra evidence will be very helpful to our support team.