cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Using Conferences for Office Hours

Jump to solution

I'm an adjunct and it's difficult for me to come to campus for office hours, so I'm interested in using Conferences in Canvas for office hours. I'm not sure how to use it, however, and the user guides didn't clarify this for me.

When I "start a conference" do I need to invite all students each time? I don't want to have to notify them each time I'm online for conference hours, I'd rather them just know I'll be there and come online if they need help. The "chat" feature seems to be group chatroom instead of a one-on-one chat.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions or has used Canvas for office hours and wants to pass along some tips! Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

manthes@rider.edu​,

We have all of our online instructors set up a conference with no time limit on it.  Then they simply tell their students, usually in the syllabus, when they will be online in the conference.  Yes, you have to invite all of the students to the conference, but if you use one, long-running conference, you only have to do the invites once.

Robbie

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

manthes@rider.edu​,

We have all of our online instructors set up a conference with no time limit on it.  Then they simply tell their students, usually in the syllabus, when they will be online in the conference.  Yes, you have to invite all of the students to the conference, but if you use one, long-running conference, you only have to do the invites once.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks so much for your reply. Does the instructor just press "start" and leave it as "in progress" all semester?

Highlighted

Yes!

Highlighted

manthes@rider.edu​,

Yes, just start it and leave it in the in progress stage.

Robbie

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

manthes@rider.edu

I use conferences for office hours routinely, and it is very easy to set up. First, no you do not need to "Invite" your students. Conferences are integrated with your roster, so if your students are enrolled in your course, then they can access any available conference. The invite feature would be used for participants who aren't enrolled in your course, and this could include guest speakers.

What I have found easiest, is to create a single conference that runs through the end of term. I set it for manual recording so that I can record each session, then I publish my office hours to my students.

I hope this helps.

Highlighted

Can you do individual office hours for privacy?  I am guessing you have to set up another conference but can you NOT invite all students?

Does Canvas have a waiting room feature?

Thank you!

Linda

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels