Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mohammam
Surveyor II

Using Outcomes on a Quiz

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have decided to start using outcomes in Canvas for my class.  I will be using them as parts of rubric grading, but also hoped to make them a part of Canvas Quizzes.  I created questions banks and tied specific outcomes to each bank.  When I make quizzes from those banks, will those quiz results be reflected in the learning mastery grade book?

So, even if I don't choose all of the questions from an aligned bank, will students still be scored based on the % mastery rule of the Question bank?

Also, if I forgot to align an outcome to the banks until after some students had finished the quiz (something a "friend of mine" did) would the results still be reflected in the learning mastery grade book.

Hope this question makes sense.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lstark
Adventurer

Hi mohammam,

Thanks for your great questions about Outcomes and Question Banks. 

I will do my best to answer your questions in three parts:

Question 1: When I make quizzes from those banks, will those quiz results be reflected in the learning mastery gradebook?

Yes- each question being used in the question bank will be reported in the Learning Mastery Gradebook.  There are two factors that play a part with the score being recorded: the first is the point value of each question, if you want the questions to reflect Mastery of the Outcome, the point value for the question needs to match the “Mastery at” point value that was established in the Outcome.  The other factor that plays a part in the Learning Mastery Gradebook is the Calculation method you selected in the Outcome.

Question 2: Even if I don’t choose all of the questions from an aligned bank, will students still be scored based on the % mastery rule of the Question bank?

Sadly, the % mastery rule that is aligned with the question bank is currently not functioning.  The learning mastery gradebook will record each individual question and then based upon the Calculation method set for the Outcome it will calculate/report that information. 

Question 3: If I forgot to align an outcome to the banks until after some students have finished the quiz would the results still be reflected?

Unfortunately, no, the Learning Mastery Gradebook only records from the point of importation going forward.  With that, keep in  mind that if you are using a book marked question bank that is aligned to an outcome, be certain to import that outcome to your course prior to assessing against the outcome. 

Please feel free to reach out to me about Outcomes if you have any other questions.

lstark@instructure.com.

Thanks!

Leslie

View solution in original post

8 Replies
awilliams
Surveyor

Hey mohammam​, I don't know the answer to your question but I am going to share this with a few others and see if we can get you an answer.

lstark
Adventurer

Hi mohammam,

Thanks for your great questions about Outcomes and Question Banks. 

I will do my best to answer your questions in three parts:

Question 1: When I make quizzes from those banks, will those quiz results be reflected in the learning mastery gradebook?

Yes- each question being used in the question bank will be reported in the Learning Mastery Gradebook.  There are two factors that play a part with the score being recorded: the first is the point value of each question, if you want the questions to reflect Mastery of the Outcome, the point value for the question needs to match the “Mastery at” point value that was established in the Outcome.  The other factor that plays a part in the Learning Mastery Gradebook is the Calculation method you selected in the Outcome.

Question 2: Even if I don’t choose all of the questions from an aligned bank, will students still be scored based on the % mastery rule of the Question bank?

Sadly, the % mastery rule that is aligned with the question bank is currently not functioning.  The learning mastery gradebook will record each individual question and then based upon the Calculation method set for the Outcome it will calculate/report that information. 

Question 3: If I forgot to align an outcome to the banks until after some students have finished the quiz would the results still be reflected?

Unfortunately, no, the Learning Mastery Gradebook only records from the point of importation going forward.  With that, keep in  mind that if you are using a book marked question bank that is aligned to an outcome, be certain to import that outcome to your course prior to assessing against the outcome. 

Please feel free to reach out to me about Outcomes if you have any other questions.

lstark@instructure.com.

Thanks!

Leslie

View solution in original post

Thanks, Leslie!

brueckert
Community Member

Thank you  @lstark ​! This clears up some of the questions I've had as well.

Hi Leslie,

I realized I never thanked you for your response.  I apologize for that error.  Thank you for the wonderful and detailed and extremely helpful response!

Regarding the answer to Question #3 - why?  It should be trivial to have the Learning Mastery Gradebook populate results from attempts that have already been completed.

I agree.  If I didn't realize that a test had lost it's outcomes until after a few students took it and no outcomes were generated, I shouldn't lose the chance to get that information!  (I've encountered this situation once or twice -- when correcting typos in our outcomes, our district has created new outcomes...)

sara_samples1
Surveyor II

Wait, this is how I find out that the % mastery is not working?  So my mastery gradebook is a lie?  

In addition to the rubric based data collected (which I assume is still accurate) I have an "outcomes check" comprehensive quiz that I give students in APUSH to get a general idea of their mastery of each period.  The number of questions in for each period varies, but each question is worth 1 point.  If they are not getting rated based on the mastery %, what is being used to generate the outcomes I am seeing?  Is this information in any way reflective of their understanding of the periods?  

More importantly:  How can I set this up to give me actual information?  I feel like this is really significant misinformation.  I've been using it as part of my strategy for areas of focus in review.