Highlighted
Community Member

What are LTI settings to open in new tab?

Jump to solution

We have Starfish integrated into our Canvas instance but it opens inside of Canvas, which is causing some issues for faculty as far as some of the functionality. Is there a setting I can add to the LTI to make the service open in another tab? I have other LTI's do this by adding code to the Custom field, new_tab=1, however this code doesn't do anything when added to the Starfish LTI.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Cynthia,

Are you just editing the settings for the Starfish LTI or re-adding it with these new settings?  I know in the past I've had troubles making any changes to an LTI integration after it's been added.  Usually it was a matter of removing it and then like you suggested, adding that code to the XML data.  

A trick I use sometimes is that is the method to add the LTI is just with a URL, go that to actual URL in a web browser to see the XML code it's using.  Take that code into a text editor and you can make any changes you need.  Then when adding the LTI use the Add by XML option and paste in that modified XML instead of the url.  I use this trick often if I want a sidebar integration to be hidden by default so that instructors need to modify their course navigation to see it.

Good luck,

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Surveyor

Cynthia,

Are you just editing the settings for the Starfish LTI or re-adding it with these new settings?  I know in the past I've had troubles making any changes to an LTI integration after it's been added.  Usually it was a matter of removing it and then like you suggested, adding that code to the XML data.  

A trick I use sometimes is that is the method to add the LTI is just with a URL, go that to actual URL in a web browser to see the XML code it's using.  Take that code into a text editor and you can make any changes you need.  Then when adding the LTI use the Add by XML option and paste in that modified XML instead of the url.  I use this trick often if I want a sidebar integration to be hidden by default so that instructors need to modify their course navigation to see it.

Good luck,

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos