cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

What is a Module?

Jump to solution

Ok, so basically I am new to this whole completely online schooling thing. And I am learning to use Canvas for the first time. During the Orientation Course that was on there, they mentioned that "...during the first module students usually have about 2 classes..."      So my question is, what is a Module? How long is it?  Is a Module like a week? Or is it like a term? Or... is it the setup for the course in canvas? (ie): This module contains... and so forth?  Because some of the videos keep saying that you click on this module and... But then that phrase earlier made it sound like it was more like a Term/period. I am so confused right now. [O_o]

~ Crystal LM

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi siqoya@yahoo.com and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

A module is a term used in Canvas to define a "segment" of a course. It's up to the instructor to decide how to utilize modules in their course design. Some will create a module for each week while others will create a module for each chapter or unit.

Here is an official Canvas Guides to get you started: What are Modules? 

Please reply back if you have any further questions for the Community. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi siqoya@yahoo.com and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

A module is a term used in Canvas to define a "segment" of a course. It's up to the instructor to decide how to utilize modules in their course design. Some will create a module for each week while others will create a module for each chapter or unit.

Here is an official Canvas Guides to get you started: What are Modules? 

Please reply back if you have any further questions for the Community. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you... that makes a lot more sense.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks Kristin Lundstrum,

For your warm welcome and for answering my question. So basically a module is a tool. But it can also mean like a weeks worth of the course?    Interesting. But why did it say that during the first module, students would have 2 classes?  Are the two classes placed into the same module?  Or does that just mean that they are to be done in the same week?          Just trying to clarify. I guess I will just get used to the reference to modules as I go through the courses.

Thanks again though,

~ Crystal LM

Highlighted

Hi, siqoya@yahoo.com‌. You would probably need to check with someone at your school for the meaning of the quotation about classes and modules. That is not terminology I have heard used in that context before. However, Canvas is a versatile system, and people use it in many different ways. Smiley Happy 

Labels