cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vmelograno
Community Member

When an announcement is created, can it be sent to students?

Jump to solution

Can announcements be sent to students?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @vmelograno  Thank You for posting your question.  The answer to your question is...well, maybe?  Here's why I say this...

Every user in Canvas has a profile area where they can customize their own notification settings.  See How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor? or https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344 for more information.  As you can see from the screen shots in those Guides, each person has a variety of ways that they could potentially be notified about certain things in Canvas.  There are two rows at the top of that Notifications screen for "Announcements" and "Announcements Created By You" (obviously, this one is more for instructors).  Students can choose whether or not they want to be notified when announcements are posted in their courses (this is for all courses...not just for your courses).  So, it's entirely possible that students may NOT want to receive e-mail notifications about new announcements, but they DO want to receive text notifications about announcements.  Or, some students may prefer to get an e-mail notification because they don't have a texting plan on their cell phone.  It's completely up to each student...and thus the reason for "maybe".

I hope this helps, Vincent.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @vmelograno  Thank You for posting your question.  The answer to your question is...well, maybe?  Here's why I say this...

Every user in Canvas has a profile area where they can customize their own notification settings.  See How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor? or https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344 for more information.  As you can see from the screen shots in those Guides, each person has a variety of ways that they could potentially be notified about certain things in Canvas.  There are two rows at the top of that Notifications screen for "Announcements" and "Announcements Created By You" (obviously, this one is more for instructors).  Students can choose whether or not they want to be notified when announcements are posted in their courses (this is for all courses...not just for your courses).  So, it's entirely possible that students may NOT want to receive e-mail notifications about new announcements, but they DO want to receive text notifications about announcements.  Or, some students may prefer to get an e-mail notification because they don't have a texting plan on their cell phone.  It's completely up to each student...and thus the reason for "maybe".

I hope this helps, Vincent.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

d00386959
Community Member

Another idea to get some visibility is to turn on the setting that displays recent announcements at the top of the home page.