cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
argill
Community Member

Why is the font of the text in my document being changed during upload?

For the past week, every document I submit, whether it be from Google Docs, or Microsoft Word, is changing my text font and size in some parts of the document. When downloading the uploaded document, it appears fine; however, when you preview the document on canvas, and when instructors read and make comments, some of the font is in a different font and size. What could be causing this to happen?

8 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @argill ​ and welcome to the Canvas Community!  We do not have access to your Canvas submissions, and this might be something that you or your instructors may ultimately want to submit a Canvas support ticket on if it keeps happening.  (Help>>Report a Problem)  I have few thoughts (not solutions, alas!) regarding this, and this is mostly to try to come up with an idea if it is something on your end or something on Canvas' end.

The area where instructors read and make comments uses the crocodoc rendering engine. (Some faculty will just call it "Speedgrader," which is what Canvas calls the general grading area.)  Crocodoc is now owned by the very same box company that you may see when previewing documents online in other areas of Canvas.  Crocodoc will take the original document and re-render it so that it appears in a web browser.  This process is somewhat explained within the text of this article I found on the web:  Box Acquires Crocodoc To Add HTML5 Document Converter And Sleek Content Viewing Experience To Cloud ... .   I personally have not seen this happen, but I could see where it might happen if you are using some odd fonts that are not "normally" used on documents and that may be unique to your computer.  What is puzzling is that while I could see that happening in Word, I can NOT see it happening so much in Google Docs, unless there are indeed a few Google fonts that it just flat-out cannot recognize.

You mention that when downloading the uploaded document it appears fine,  But are you downloading your own submitted document?  In that case, it would appear fine since it's back on your computer.  How does it appear when the faculty member downloads it him/herself?  They can download a document rather than view it in Speedgrader/Crocodoc, so I would be curious to see what happens.  If the faculty member encounters the same issue when downloading the original, submitted Word document (as in, the fonts all change), then it means that his/her computer system cannot find the fonts associated with your submission and will render it in another font.  I have seen this happen most often with PowerPoint slideshows, but it can happen with Word, as well, and I suspect that it is how crocodoc/box deals with it--it renders it in another font.

One suggestion is to try to convert your submission to PDF format and see if the problem recurs.  And other is, frankly, to use a different font.

But if you are already using a relatively plain vanilla font like Arial, Times New Roman, etc., it is definitely worth bringing to Canvas' attention to see if they can isolate why this is happening.

mkuhn
Community Member

Ken,

I wanted to follow up on this thread.  I upload PPT files with the Mac-default font of Calibri to Canvas.  The first screenshot below is my document, dowloaded from Canvas.  The second screenshot is the document viewed on Canvas with a different, larger font that messes up the slide.  This is the first time this has happened to me.  The problem was not occurring during last spring term.

Thanks,

- Mike

252547_pastedImage_1.png252566_pastedImage_2.png

mkuhn
Community Member

A quick update: I am also having this problem with Times New Roman font in Word.

kblack
Community Member

Hi  @mkuhn ‌ - I know that I have heard a few things about certain documents not being rendered properly in the brand new DocViewer that was introduced to Canvas over the summer.  While you can see an ongoing list of some issues here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11679-docviewer-plan , I think your best bet will be to report this to Canvas so that they can keep track of the items.  I know they will be interested in knowing (as you stated above) specifically the types of documents involved so that they can troubleshoot things better.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @argill ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because it's been about two months since you initially posted your question and  @kblack ‌ response.  Have you had a chance to review Ken's reply to see if any of the information he's provided has been helpful?  If you believe he's provided a correct response, please mark his answer as such by clicking on the "Mark Correct" button near his reply.  However, if you are still looking for assistance, please post a message below.  For now, since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since January, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Audra!

choppingm
Surveyor II

I am also having this problem with Times New Roman font in Word document uploads and subsequent use in Speedgrader. I am surprised that this has not been fixed yet. I am using Chrome on a Mac.

shangwn
Community Member

I'm having this problem too. Using Times New Roman 12 pt font, Canvas changes certain words and sections to another font and font size. Is there a fix yet?

kblack
Community Member

Hi  @shangwn - If you are having issues with this, you should open a case with Canvas support (Help>>Report a Problem.)  First, however, double-check this online guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10033-415241392  and double-check against your original document. Word, for example, can insert some style changes unbeknownst to the user, especially when pasting in material from another document. That style change could very well "linger."  Click within the words on the original document to ensure that the font is still the one you think it is.  Better yet (on a PC, at least) while clicking in a word if you tap Shift and F1 (function key F1) together, it will open up the "Reveal Formatting" pane on the far right, allowing you see what, exactly, is going on behind the scenes.  I have found, for example, a few documents that use Time rather than Times New Roman, and Times is NOT on the "safe" list, according to that document.

Just a few thoughts; but by all means if that does not help, file a case so that Canvas is aware.