cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMAaron
Surveyor

Word Docs only Open as Read-Only when accessed via Desktop App

We  have a student who is unable to edit her Microsoft Word document (.docx) from Canvas in the desktop app as it opens as Read-Only.  Read-only, of course, does not Auto-Save, thereby creating the need for an additional Save As and Re-upload.  Any thoughts as to why this is occurring?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @SMAaron 

Are you saying that your student is attempting to edit a Word Doc after it has been uploaded to Canvas as an assignment submission? If so, that is expected behavior. Once a student submits a doc, most teachers would not want it modifiable by the students. However, the student could edit the doc in the form they maintain on their own PC, then re-submit it.

If this is not what you are asking, please clarify, and I will try again.

Kelley

SMAaron
Surveyor

Hi @kmeeusen!  Thank you for your response.  No, the assignment had not been previously submitted.  The student was attempting to work on it for the first time.

Was he attempting to work on it using Microsoft Word?

I guess I am not understanding your question. If the student was working on a Word document in Microsoft Word, then once the document is complete, he would go to the Canvas Assignment and upload the completed document from there. How do I submit on online assignment?

If he is unable to complete it in Word, then this is a Microsoft issue and we cannot help.

If the issue is uploading to Canvas, and the student is following the steps in the guide I just provided, then I can only suggest submitting a support ticket. Members of this community have no way to troubleshoot this for the student.

Kelley

SMAaron
Surveyor

Sorry, my question may have been a bit ambiguous😜  The student has been attempting to access a Word document assignment in Canvas.  When she clicks the assignment link, it opens the typical preview in Canvas, but when she clicks the "Open in Desktop App" to actually edit/work on it, the document only opens in Read Only view, which doesn't allow for editing.  Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.