Surveyor

how to rearrange course cards on dashboard

Jump to solution

how do I rearrange the course cards on the dashboard

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
u0031312
Community Member

Ah, but there is a way! Just click and hold on a card you want to move. Drag it down/up and drop it before a card (this bumps that card rightward) or between two cards (bumps the rightmost card down). Slow but sure.

jfh

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @acrawford  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Course cards are automatically arranged in alphabetical order, and the ability to re-arrange them is not built into Canvas. You can customize which cards appear on the dashboard by following the instructions in How do I customize my Courses list as a student?‌ (The instructions are the same for an instructor.)

You might want to add your feedback and vote to this popular idea, currently in Product Radar status: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3450-drag-courses-on-dashboard 

Last,  @James ‌ has written a user script that anyone--instructors, students, TAs--can implement in their own browser:  Sorting Dashboard Course Cards‌  If you're a Canvas admin, even better: you can implement this solution at the account level for the entire institution!

I renamed my courses so I would have them in the order I wanted them when they were automatically alphabetized in the Dashboard view, but that apparently doesn't happen except in "Courses" now. We need a way to organize these so the courses are in a consistent order ... at least alphabetizing them would be helpful.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@acrawford ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

benjamin_rodrig
Learner II

Hi  @acrawford ‌

I realize this reply is probably late, but I was recently researching this topic.

We are new to Canvas (in a pilot program).

For now, the alphabetical sorting requires us to tweak up the course long_names and short_names. I'm proposing this convention that should help instructors who are used to viewing their courses by semester, teach multiple sections of the same course, and have classes on different campuses.
(We also are integrated with Banner)

Long_name: TermCode-Subject-CourseNumber-Section-Campus-CRN

Short_Name: Actual course title.

The solutions mentioned in the answer above look great. We'll check those out after we settle into using the base configuration of Canvas.

Here's a pic to show how it should wind up looking...

262733_pastedImage_3.png

I hope this works out well for us.

-Ben

u0031312
Community Member

Ah, but there is a way! Just click and hold on a card you want to move. Drag it down/up and drop it before a card (this bumps that card rightward) or between two cards (bumps the rightmost card down). Slow but sure.

jfh

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you,  @u0031312 , for revisiting this very old conversation, and  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Indeed, since the question was originally posted, Canvas has enhanced the course card feature so that it allows the user to use the menu to move the course cards or move them via drag-and-drop, as described in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10588-4212717404 (the process is the same for an instructor).