New Catalog Analytics is now released!

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure

3.png

I’m happy to announce that we’ve released the new and improved Catalog Analytics in production today!

After nearly a year of work, carefully curated by your use cases and requests, a new analytics experience is now available for Catalog admins.

If you are curious what we did (and why), here’s the teaser article that I’ve kept updated with beta release dates and scope changes.

Also, we’ve published several new guides showing the new functionality, including an overview guide. As always, let us know if you find information that would be helpful to add to the guides. 

Please note that the Reports and the old Analytics tab will be removed at the end of June, since we combined the two in the new version. Up until June 30th both versions will be available, so you can safely transition into the new version if you have any automations set up, and to give you some time to explore the new experience. A banner will be placed on the admin pages in Catalog to remind you of this date - with next week’s production release.

Feel free to provide any feedback regarding the new Analytics! In Q2-Q3, I’d like to collect your feedback regarding the feature and consider the most important items as a roadmap item in the following quarters. You can do this by replying to this article, or through your CSMs. 

Thank you for your patience and I hope that you can leverage the new Analytics to gather helpful insights for your Catalog. 

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

19 Comments
janice_meyer
Community Explorer

I've been playing around with the new Analytics feature today.  One of the issues I have encountered is an error message that says it cannot load the data due to an error.

I'm also curious about how you are define "active student" and "new student"

Thanks!

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

hi @janice_meyer 

Sorry for the late response. Not sure about the error - maybe it was a temporary outage - can you please check if it loads now?

About students - these are added to the guides here.

• Active Students - The total number of registered students with at least one active (not completed) enrollment.
  • New Students - The total number of newly registered students who have not yet enrolled.

Let me know if you have more questions/feedback.

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

@janice_meyer When does the error appear? What settings did you have the New Analytics set to for filters?

janice_meyer
Community Explorer

Hi all,

@KataKeri - it finally started working Wednesday of last week.  Thank you for the definitions.

@jsowalsk - It was the end of the first week of May.   I was running a user report, filtered by subaccount and date range.  The error would pop up for just a handful of our subaccounts.  It is working now.  

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

I see what you mean @janice_meyer

@KataKeri Why doesn't it show the name of the subcatalog instead it just shows Catalog when filtering?

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 9.25.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 9.25.08 AM.png

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@jsowalsk Because you can select multiple ones. 

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

@KataKeri I understand but it is misleading since you don't know where you are pulling data from/subcatalog unless you got back to the filter area. Can this please be looked into?

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@jsowalsk Of course. What is your expectation here? To show 'Catalog' and/or 'Subcatalog', or the exact Catalog and Subcatalogs' name in separate pills? 

KathyPalm
Community Participant

I would find it very useful if when filtering on catalogs you could see the specific catalog/subcatalog names as separate pills

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

@KataKeri Correct to show the catalog (parent) or subcatalog (child) in the separate pills. The specific naming of these.

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@jsowalsk thank you, I added it to our list of items of improvements. 

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

@KataKeri Thank you! Greatly appreciated.

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

Just to confirm, we would like the name of the catalog and subcatalog in the pills. @KataKeri 

sbarry2
Community Participant

@KataKeri . Is there a way to save a Custom Report once you set the parameters, so it doesn't have to be re-done each time we want to run that particular report? 

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@sbarry2 Not yet, but this is a great idea, I added it to our list of future improvements. Thank you!

JaleenJohnson
Community Member

I have been playing around with the new analytics this month, and I sorely the miss the dashboard and graph.  All the reports we need to run are there, however, things were a lot more seamless to access on the previous version.  Plus being able to visualize the data was nice.  Any chance a dashboard will ever return for these analytics?

Also if there was an EASY way to pull the user defined fields we have laid out in the catalog by course, that would be super helpful.

AlecM
Community Novice

I also miss the dashboard's graph. Showing the enrollments over time was a great way for me to quickly see the effectiveness of my course marketing campaigns. I attempted to create my own graph by exporting enrollment data into CSV format, but the Creation Date field is not useful without doing some Excel data prep (example output: 2023-07-14T13:30:31.580929-06:00). Honestly, I use the analytics every day, and the new analytics has significantly slowed my workflow.  

dljoyork
Community Participant

Hi Kata,

I miss being able to see at a glance if there are new enrollments and therefore Catalog is working.  Now when I have to open the enrollments tab and then scroll to the right.  I have two requests that would solve this problem:

1.  Put the Enrollments tab first.

2.  Remove the Listing Status column from the Enrollments table.  It really isn't needed there.

Thanks for listening,

Joan

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

hi @dljoyork 

Thank you for the feedback, I'll take a note and add it to our list of Analytics improvements - we are doing our best to pick these up while working on our next initiatives.

If you have any more feedback, please let me know.

@JaleenJohnson @AlecM I added the graph view also to our improvement list, we will consider it - thank you for sharing your use cases on that one!