cliff_cunningha's Posts
Post Details Date Published Views Likes

Courses are open, closed, active, inactive, archived, sunsetted...?

I provide local Canvas support at University of Wisconsin-Madison. I would like an overview of all options pertaining to the life cycle of a Canvas course. I understand about creating courses. (We ...

02-02-2024

automatic informing of students about due dates

I've been supporting Canvas at University of Wisconsin-Madison for the past five years. I think I am missing something, and I can't find the right language to look it up in the Canvas guides.  ...

02-16-2023

incorrect "adjust dates" while importing a course

I provide support for Canvas usage on University of Wisconsin-Madison. A faculty member teaches the same eight-week course every summer. And, we are having problems with the "date adjustment" feature...

06-03-2022

What is a "participation"?

In "View Course Analytics"... what counts towards "Participations"?

07-28-2020

Warning about Late Policy Effects

The Late Policy is applied across all assignments. Also, there is no quick-n-easy way to determine what the grade was before... or, (in the case of submitted files) whether or not a particular studen...

05-12-2020

Filter by "Student Groups"

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a new (to us) feature in Settings called: "Launch Speed Grader Filtered by Student Group" I like the concept; making SpeedGrader much more efficient by focusing on ...

04-15-2020

"Assign to" field doesn't show all students?

So, when creating a quiz, an instructor wants to assign the quiz to just a couple students. When the instructor goes to the "Assign to" field, and clicks inside the field, Canvas auto-displays a dro...

03-30-2020

Automatically/Manually vs. Hide/Show

Can you clarify a point of confusion: In my testing, I have done this: 1)  Set an assignment Grade Posting Policy to "Manually". 2)  Entered/edited grades. 3)  Hit "Post Grades"....

11-18-2019

How "Grade Posting Policy" interacts with "Hide grades"

I'm still trying to sort out the behavior of the Grade Posting Policy, and how it does/doesn't interact with the Hide Grades command. This is one point of confusion. 1)  My course ...

11-05-2019

[Gradebook] Nickname for students with same name

At the University of Wisconsin - Madison, we frequently have courses with over 500 students. With those numbers, we frequently get two students with the same name. When you're working in the gradeboo...

06-08-2018

Rubrics used for assignment grade

Good morning, Canvas Community. So... when creating an assignment, an instructor can create (or assign) a rubric to that assignment. The instructor can then use that rubric to assess the assign...

03-28-2017

Problems with "Multiple Dropdown" question type

Has anyone experienced a weird corruption in a quiz that causes the optional responses in a "multiple dropdown" question type to automatically, and spasmodically, replicate themselves? My case: ...

11-23-2016

SpeedGrader vs. Firefox

The official Instructure statement is that Canvas is supported on all major browsers. However, when I open SpeedGrader in Firefox... I get a little pop-up warning saying (something to the effect...

08-02-2016