Publishing according to a pre-set schedule

gbauer
Community Member

I discovered that when I schedule a file for student accessibility at a later date, that file posting immediately becomes visible to the student. They see the title of the item but when they click it a message pops up telling the student it's not available and gives the date when it will become available. In other words, if I want to front-load a bunch of items and set timers on each one, my students are going to see a long list of irrelevant dead links until they come alive at the scheduled time. At the risk of being dubbed a relentless critic, this is a really, really dumb system! If I don't want my students to see an item until next week, or the week after, or whenever, most likely I also prefer not to let them know it's coming! As I see it, the only way to avoid this is to manually publish each item in real time exactly when I want it available and not a moment sooner. So much for advance planning! Unless this feature is changed I am all but forced to abandon the schedule option.

So my question is obvious: If an item is not yet meant to be accessible, why is it automatically made visible to the student as a link to nowhere? Is there a way to force Canvas to NOT display scheduled items prior to the pre-set publish date? Why doesn't "scheduled but not yet published" produce the exact same student view as "unpublished," namely keeping the item fully hidden from view? 

Users who also had this question