0 Likes
(6)

Hi,

I am an instructor and recently had a Canvas experience that cost me a few hours of extra work and a lot of headache.  I was trying to import a final exam quiz from a previous semester, but accidentally imported all quizzes from the previous semester, which included a midterm quiz. This midterm quiz then automatically replaced my existing midterm quiz which students have already taken, without any warning. After contacting the school IT team and searching online, I realized that this is a non-reversible action and the only thing I could do is to recreate the previous quiz.  I then had to spend hours to clean up and restore the previous midterm quiz since students have already taken it.  However, this incident could have been prevented with a simple pop-up window with a warning message. 

Here's my suggestion: When importing Canvas quiz/assignments, if the quiz/assignment to be imported has the same name as an existing quiz/assignment, there should be a pop-up window asking the user whether they wanted to replace an existing quiz/assignment with the same name. This will prevent the user from accidentally replacing an existing quiz/assignment, especially since this action is non-reversible. 

Thank you!

An Instructor from California State University, Northridge 

This widget could not be displayed.
Who rated this idea