Jeffrey Brady

Curated Space for Content/Tools that can be Embeded in Canvas

Discussion created by Jeffrey Brady Expert on Aug 25, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 by Laura Gibbs

Not that long ago, while browsing the resources in the Open Education group, I wandered across these two documents: Open Tools and Open Content Providers.  Viewing these two lists led me to wonder if something similar had been done for embedded content and/or tools, and if not, why?

I realize there are many blogs, documents, videos, and guides throughout the community that feature web tools, and the like, that can be embedded into Canvas, but wouldn’t it be great if there were a place to curate those items into one list that would link out to those other spaces in the community?  Created as the two documents in the Open Ed group were, to allow editing by the community, this would also let community members add new tools as they find them or new uses for previously listed tools.  This might even inspire someone who has been putting off creating a blog or video about how they use a tool to create and share his or her idea.

In thinking about the information the list should contain, I came with the following things: the name of the item, a brief description of its use(s), a link to a corresponding guide/blog/video that documents the use(s) in detail, and audience (higher ed/K-12).  I thought to keep the link separate from the name rather than making the name the link as I found some tools already listed in the community in more than one place, so these multiple links would need to be accounted for somehow.  Another question that came to me is, where this would be hosted, as not all tools that can be embedded are free and many are multi-audience, so I am not certain that this list fits in any specific group.

With the many comments lately in Use the Canvas Guides? We'll reward you for your feedback!  about how difficult it can be at times to locate something in the community through search if one does not know the correct terms to search with, I feel that more curated spaces could help alleviate some of those issues.

I have attempted to get things started on this not only through posting this discussion, but by also including the attached Word doc that contains some of the items I was able to easily track down in the community that might be used to start the list.

If this already exists in the community, please let me know.

Update: Dallas E Hulsey pointed out that this does already exist. There is a collaborative document in the Instructional Design group: Course Design Resource Index (Collaboration)  I would like to encourage anyone who has integrated third-party tools of any sort into Canvas to visit this document and add your information to help curate a central location where everyone might access this info. Also, if you know of someone who is using third-part tools in Canvas, please encourage them to add their experience so that everyone might benefit from their knowledge.

Outcomes