AnsweredAssumed Answered

Add File to a Module and dealing with long lists of files

Question asked by Dan LaValley on Oct 6, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 by Dan LaValley

What's the best way to work with a course that has lots of files? Here's the issue: I'm working with an instructor who has lots of online lecture files generated from Adobe Captivate. The problem is once you want to add them into a module via Add -> File you have to scroll through every file in the course to select the index.html file. A screenshot with only 3 of the 45 lectures uploaded is attached. You can see the instructor will have to do a lot of scrolling and hunting to find the right files to link into a module.

An alternate solution is hosting those online lectures elsewhere and linking to them from Canvas via the Add -> External URL option in a module. A downside is a clever students could figure out they could access lectures before the instructor wants to make them available by just slightly modifying the URL. For example the student could change www.example.com\lecture1\ to www.example.com\lecture2\  Those are not real URLs obviously. The instructor could obfuscate the directory structure if that's a concern but again - that's not an ideal solution.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I found this Canvas Idea which seems to kind of address this: Drag and drop files into course modules and assig...  Is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks!

Attachments

Outcomes