AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do the Outcome Mastery Level rubrics relate to the actual scores/point values of questions?

Question asked by William Carosella on Dec 12, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 by chofer@morainepark.edu

I understand the logistic principles behind aligning outcomes to question banks and how the learning mastery calculation options function. However, what I don't understand is how the mastery scores are calculated based off the actual performance of students.

For example, say I've aligned Outcome X to Bank A. I have Question 1 (8 points) and Question 2 (10 points) in Bank A. Say my mastery rubric for Outcome X is modeled after the support documentation examples - with an upper bound of 5 (Exceeds Expectations), mid-range of 3 (Meets Expectations), and a lower bound of 0 points (Does Not Meet Expectations). In the Outcome, I say mastery is set to 3.

Now, if I assign Outcome X to Bank A and set the "Mastery Level" at "60%" - how will this play out? Will Canvas essentially break down the point values of each question, such that if a student scores 4/8 points (50%) on Q1 and 6/10 points (60%) on Q2, they will be granted mastery scores of 0 and 3, respectively?

And as a follow up, how does a student earn a mastery score of 5 - only by getting full marks on questions or are there cutoff points? For example, would a 8/10 (80%) score on Q2 round up to 5 mastery points or down to 3 mastery points?

Thank you!

Outcomes