Joseph Halter

Student Engagement in an Online Course

Discussion created by Joseph Halter on Apr 4, 2017
Latest reply on May 1, 2017 by Laura Gibbs
Branched to a new discussion

Student Engagement in an Online Course

Let me state a few assumption based on my experiences and observations:

1. Online Learning will increase since students see availability and time restrictions increasing.

2. Employers will find it more necessary to use online courses/workshops to continue to have current employees become more informed and updated on their skills in the future due to the dramatic changes in technology and needs of customers.

More assumptions and facts could be researched from other points of views, such as teachers, advisers, etc. to confirm or repute what is stated but this is sufficient for this discussion at this moment.

My main purpose/question is to ask how effective is student learning in an online learning environment and how we can improve it?

One theory is that the more students are engaged in their learning, the more retention of information occurs.

If this is true, what student engagement activities are you using that are proven to be effective in student learning where students understand the concepts, apply the concepts and use them to solve the problem, question, issue or purpose?

I would appreciate depth and breadth examples and sharing of ideas to help teachers and our students become more engaged and thus better learners. Thank you, Joe Halter

Outcomes