AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is there a way to update a user's email via the API and auto-verify/confirm?

Question asked by Jamie Howes on Jan 12, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2018 by Stuart Ryan

We have a legacy homegrown system where we maintain our student's email address (among many other things) for our own purposes.  That data is replicated in our Canvas instance as we work to move away from our homegrown system.  When we make a change to a student's email address in our homegrown system, we want that change to be seamlessly reflected in Canvas.  We are using the API to make an update to our User record, which creates the new email address (CommunicationChannel) successfully, but the address needs intervention from the student to verify the address, which we do not want.  I tried adding the new email address directly in to CommunicationChannel with skip_confirmation set to true, but we end up with the same scenario where the new email address is added successfully, but it still requires the student to verify the address.

My question is, and I've done quite a bit of digging and haven't found the answer, using the API can we either update the existing email address in Canvas or add a new one that is somehow auto-verified/confirmed?  I think the answer is no, but if there is a way, I would greatly appreciate some direction.

Thanks kindly,

Jamie    

Outcomes