Perry Moore

How do I selectively release files to groups of students within a Canvas course?

Discussion created by Perry Moore on Aug 24, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 24, 2018 by Rick Murch-Shafer

I use a role-play game with my students where they ask questions via email.  They are solving a complex problem dealing with fraud in a business. They ask questions. I wear many hats and take on various roles. Sometime my answers reveal information directly in the emailed response.  At other times my answer is to provide additional information that needs to be made available to them through a PDF file.  Only the group that asks the question gets to see the new data - other student groups remain in the dark until they ask the correct question.  The path the students can follow is diverse - there is more than one way to get there.  I have approximately 20 different pieces of information that can be revealed to students - where item 1 could be revealed now and item 18 could be revealed in 5 minutes.  There is no progression.  In Blackboard, I could do this role play with adaptive release and then release the file to a group that I had defined.  Canvas does not appear to have this ability.  Mastery Path is not an option since that appears to require release in a pre-determined order. My release of documents follows no order.  Essentially, how can I publish PDF files to select groups - not the entire class?

Outcomes