AnsweredAssumed Answered

Zero percent assignment group and the Gradebook

Question asked by Barbara Kompe on Oct 2, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 by Barbara Kompe

Does anyone have any experience using a zero percent assignment group (i.e. one that counts zero percent towards the Total) when using weighted Assignment Groups? Because I have not been able to find much about the use of zero percent assignment groups (although the blog post Hacking Mastery Paths by Kona Jones does mention it), I am wondering if there any reason why you should not use this procedure to administer non-contributing assessment in the Gradebook?

I believe that the ability to include assessment which does not count toward the Total is important for these two common scenarios:

1) The use of Quizzes that are used for formative assessment but which don't contribute to the overall mark (You have control over Assignments but not Quizzes).

2) To enable the selective release of content to a section or group using MasteryPaths. (Unfortunately this workaround is necessary as there is no other way of releasing particular data types to particular student groupings).

The Canvas documentation does not cover this functionality in the document about weighted Assignment Groups. I have commented on this and have been told that the team will took into it. They suggested asking the Community about it in case someone has some insight into this use of weighted Assignment Groups.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Barbara Kompe.

Outcomes