Michael Welker

Link to file in Module negates date restriction?

Discussion created by Michael Welker on Nov 9, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 by Michael Welker
Branched from an earlier discussion

I am wondering about the overall functionality of the file lock and link restriction feature and may be missing something??

Reviewing the restricted documentation(https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2770 ):

"When the link restriction is set (only available to students with the link), the file can only be viewed if they are given the link to the file. However, this option only allows files to be hidden from students in Course Files. This functionality is not valid outside of the Files feature. For instance, if a file with a link restriction is added to a Module or Assignment, the file can always be viewed by students."

The key benefit (?) intent I think is to attach date restrictions to how LONG the file is available for download to students -- but again if the file is linked in an assignment or module I think that it is negated... as such I am not sure the benefit to be gained from faculty fiddling with it unless you are exclusively using the FILES area??

Can anyone direct me to what I am missing or if there is another discussion of this?

-Mike

Outcomes