You can use Commons to search for and import content into your Canvas courses. You can also share resources to Commons from your Canvas courses.
- To enable Commons in your Canvas instance, please contact your Customer Success Manager. To access Commons, you need to have an email address associated with your Canvas account.
- Users who can create or edit course content in Canvas also have access to Commons. This includes Admins, Teachers, Designers, and TAs. If an institution does not want student TAs to have access to Commons, an account admin should create a custom TA role in Canvas that does not have permission to create or edit course content.
- Commons is available in all Free for Teacher (FFT) accounts. Free for Teacher users are limited to finding, importing, and sharing public resources.
- The Resource Previews feature is currently an optional feature and must be enabled by an administrator in Commons. If your institution has not enabled Resource Previews, the resource details page may look different.
A resource in Commons can be a course, module, quiz, assignment, discussion, page, document, video, image, or audio file. Each resource type has a unique icon. Look for these related colors and icons when searching for resources. To find resources in Commons, use the search field . You can search for keywords such as author, institution, or title. You can also search by outcome, consortium, or group.
To sort search results by Latest or Most Relevant, click the Sort by drop-down menu .
To apply search filters to your search, click the Filter button .
Based on your selected filters, the number of results are displayed in the page . To search everything available to you in Commons, leave the search field and filters blank.
Note: Depending on the account settings set by your Canvas admin, you may be unable to view and/or share public content.
Filter Search Results
To narrow your search, or to search by filter, use one or more of the filter options:
- Approved Resources : If your admin has enabled approved resources, you can filter results to only show approved resources.
- Type : You can filter by resource type (e.g., Courses, Modules, Assignments, Quizzes, Discussions, Pages, Documents, Images, Videos, or Audio).
- Grade/Level : You can select specific grades or level of education to narrow your search (e.g., K-12, Undergraduate, Graduate).
- Shared With : You can filter results by resources shared publicly, in your account, in a group, or in a consortium.
View Content Card
In search results, resource details are displayed on content cards. Each card displays the following details:
- Approved Resource icon : Identify institution-approved resources. Note that the approved resources feature must be enabled by an account admin.
- Resource icon : Identify the resource type
- Title and description : Preview the title and description of the resource
- Author : View the author of the resource
- Target icon : Indicates tagged outcome(s)
- Date : View the date the resource was last updated
To preview a resource and view more details, click the resource title.
The content overview page loads the Preview tab by default. The sidebar contains further information and links:
- Date of last update : Date when content was last updated by an author
- License : Displays either the Copyright or Creative Commons content license
- Thumbnail and Approved Icon : Resource thumbnail and, if applicable, the approved resource icon
- Import/Download button : Button to download or import the resource
- Size and Type : Size of resource file(s) and the type of content
- Favorites button : Add the resource to your Favorites
View Resource Preview
To preview resource content, click the Preview tab. The Preview tab is shown by default.
View Resource Details
In the Details tab, you can view a summary of the resource and related information:
- Description : A brief explanation or summary of the resource
- Author(s) : User(s) who shared the resource
- Account : The account from which the resource was shared
- Grade/Level : The suggested grade level(s) for the resource
- Tags : Relevant tags or keywords to identify the resource
- Duration : Duration of an audio or video file. Only applicable to audio or video resources
- Outcomes : Outcomes linked to a resource. Only applicable to resources with linked outcomes
- Shared With : Sharing settings (account, group(s), consortium(s), public, private)
- Reviews : Reviews by other users
When you are ready to import a resource, click the Import/Download button and select a course.
Note: Not all resources will display all details. Listed details depend on the type of resource and information provided by the author.
Share a Resource