Learn how to share files in Canvas to Commons. Learn more about supported file types in Commons.
Resources should be complete before they are shared.To modify an existing shared resource, learn how to update a resource previously shared to Commons.
- To enable Commons in your Canvas instance, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Commons is available in all Free for Teacher (FFT) accounts. Free for Teacher users are limited to finding, importing, and sharing public resources.
- The file size limit for uploaded content is 500mb.
In Global Navigation, click the Courses link , then click the name of the course you want to share the file from .
To share a document , audio , image , or video  file, click the Options icon  then click the Share to Commons link .
Choose Sharing Option
Select a sharing sharing option.
Note: Depending on the account settings set by your Canvas admin, you may be unable to view and/or share public content. Authors of publicly shared resources will always be able to view their resource.
Choose Content License
From the Copyright and Licenses drop-down menu, select your content license.
To add additional information about licensing or usage, click the Add Additional Information link.
View Shared Resource
View your shared resource. It may take up to 30 minutes to process a resource. Resource previews are not available while the resource is processing.
- The file type will automatically display in the resource details.
- Duration will display for video and audio file types.