Sometimes it's hard to find resources in the Canvas Community and often awesome things are overlooked due to the sheer volume of information. To make it easier for people, the following is a comprehensive list of Canvancements (Canvas Enhancements) James Jones has developed for Canvas. James would never sing his own praises, but I have no problem doing so on his behalf. Enjoy!
List of Canvancements
- Assigning Intra-Group Peer Reviews
- Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page
- Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet
- QuizWiz: Enhancements to SpeedGrader and Quizzes
- Better Group Discussion Navigation
- Sorting the Find a Rubric dialog
- Removing Missing and Late Labels
- Obtaining a list of Admin Users with their Roles
- Show all grades for a student on one page - Or see GitHub Canvancement/grades
- Sorting Rubrics Made Easy
- Adding Login and SIS IDs to Admin User Search
- How to List Items Alphabetically when Adding to a Module
- Course Roster Enhancements
- Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course
- Show student names for Differentiated Assignments
- Bulk Publish / Delete Pages
- How to Count Student Discussion Posts
- How to list teachers who have published/unpublished courses
Additional Documentation and Resources
- Accomplish the Impossible. This this the 2017 InstructureCon presentation by James and Kona.
- Looking Up Values in Formula Questions
- Understanding Multiple Answers Questions
- Canvas Data API Authentication
- Mandatory Orientation Programming
- Assignment Submissions Report Programming
- Hiding Content from Certain Roles
- Finding user account creation details
- Quiz Questions Groups and the API
- How to Reorder Rubric Criteria. This is the technical explanation behind Sorting Rubrics Made Easy.
- Sorting Dashboard Course Cards. Canvas provided their own solution with the December 8, 2018, production release.
- Restoring the Needs Graded count. Canvas fixed this with the March 12, 2016, production release.
- Unassigning the Front Page. Canvas provided their own solution with the November 18, 2017, production release.
- Permissions Page Role Sorting. Canvas provided their own solution with the July 14, 2018, production release.
Questions about any of these resources should be added to that specific resources document or blog.
November 21, 2017: Greasemonkey 4 / Firefox 57 note
It appears that there is a bug with Firefox 57 that is keeping Greasemonkey 4 from working. It basically keeps any script from Github from installing, updating, or running and you can't create local scripts either. Github is where all of the source code for the Canvancements are stored. There is a way to temporarily disable a security protocol in Firefox that is provided in the bug report, but my recommendation at this point is to use Chrome or Safari or to install Tampermonkey for Firefox. Firefox will not be fixing this issue in Firefox 57 as it's not a security bug, Greasemonkey 3 no longer works after upgrading to Firefox 57, and it would completely change the way Greasemonkey injects and detects user scripts to fix (meaning I don't expect them to fix it).