Automatic zero in gradebook after a date

Idea created by Stephanie Pope on May 4, 2015
    Radar
    Score171
    Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I would like to throw this out there...

What if an assignment could automatically be scored as a zero if not completed by a specified date? This would be a huge time saver for everyone:

Student: this would allow their grade to accurately reflect true grade (if teacher is behind)- will encourage/motivate, etc.

Teacher: huge time saver! Helpful for schools/teachers with students who self pace

Academic Adviser: view true and accurate grade for reporting

Currently, a teacher can default an assignment grade (for all or some students) to a zero. But what if on the same prompt (window) it asks for a date. When the date passes, a zero in placed in the grade. This gives the teacher control of when it happens and it's easy to find.

Just an idea.

Comments from Instructure

This feature idea has been reviewed by product and has moved into the Under Consideration stage. An idea may stay in the Under Consideration stage for 6-18 months before receiving an update and moving to another stage.  Make sure to follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

Comment from Christi at Canvas on July 7 in the comments below:

I love this feature request. We are working on some gradebook enhancements this fall that will lay the foundation to accommodate setting up late rules. I would love it if you and everyone you know would join this group Grading Late Rules to help us fully scope the potential for this feature. That’s the good news. The less good news is, we won’t actually get to implementing this feature in the next 6 months… which by our community rules means we have to archive the idea. But please don’t think that that means we’re not going to do this. This feature is literally on the top of my list of things to tackle as soon as we’ve finished our first round gradebook enhancements… which as I mentioned, lays the foundation for setting these rules up in the gradebook settings. I can’t wait to learn more about all your policies.