New Quizzes: Horizontal Stimulus Prompt

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-11-20).

The current functionality of the Stimulus question is to create a two-column delivery of the question set: stimulus on the left, questions on the right.

I suggest adding a control option in the Add Stimulus process that allows for horizontal presentation. The resulting question would have a "sticky" section (the stimulus) that spans the width of the container and a scrolling section just below that where the questions are displayed. The stimulus would remain visible at the top of the screen while questions scrolled past below.

This would be especially useful for content best displayed as a wide, landscape view.

7 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted! If you're interested in this, please also consider upvoting and/or commenting on this closely-related feature idea:

Estefania
Community Explorer

Great suggestion! Many of my stimulus are texts, and the side by side view is not ideal. Also, it is unusable when you want to attach matching questions, because there is no space left in the screen to display the answers properly, which is a real issue. So far I have had to move these type of stimulus to the instructions but this is not a very satisfactory workaround. Text questions (along with many other things) are sorely missing from the New Quizzes.

judy_rea
Community Member

Adjust width of stimulus on New Quizzes so there is more space for the related Q&A.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta
Comments from Instructure

The Stimulus type includes the ability to choose if the related questions appear to the right or below. This change allows instructors to control the presentation of an item’s stimulus, functionality that is useful when printing quizzes or when adding narrative stimulus content.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-11-20).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed