| Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...|
| Idea will be open for vote Wed. August 5, 2015 - Wed. November 4, 2015 Learn more about voting...|
Now that Google has released their Classroom API it seems like this would be a great opportunity to bring in a tight integration with Google Apps For Education leveraging the added benefits that Google Classroom brings to the table.
A couple of things that teachers LOVE about Google Classroom (that would be great to leverage in Canvas) are:
- When a student turns-in a Google Doc, Sheet, Slideshow, Drawing it automatically gives Teacher edit permissions and takes away the student's edit permission until the assignment is graded/returned to student.
- It's super easy to provide students with a template document that they will click on and automatically get a document of their own (based off your template) to work on.
- The Google Drive Management- It does a very nice job of organizing everything into folders for the teachers and students.
Whatever Instructure can do to make the integration between Google & Canvas more seamless and roboust will be greatly used and appreciated. If you have ideas on this please add below.
...and in keeping with the musical theme of instcon 2015 here's a little Duran Duran re-mix
Google released an API, came out yesterday,
Use it to build a Canvas-Google hideaway - maybe next year, maybe no go.
I know you're watching TechCrunch every minute of the day, yeah.
I've seen the hashtags and the tweets and the roadmaps
They give your game away, yeah.
There's a dream that sings along with new integrations that just belong
And I got so far before I had to say:
Please, please, tell me now, is there something I should know?
Is there something I should say that would make this come our way?
If you feel the same you've just got to let us know!
| Comments from Instructure|
June 2017 update
We're still exploring a Google Classroom integration, however in this initial LTI we wanted to include all of the important features you list in your post without excluding those that are not Google Classroom Users.
- How do I connect to Google Drive as a web service in Canvas as an instructor?
- How do I create a hyperlink or embed a file from Google Drive into the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?
- How do I create a Google Drive collaboration as an instructor?
- How do I create a cloud assignment with a Google Drive file?