Notifications by Course

Idea created by ZACHARY DESJARLAIS on Oct 27, 2015
    Radar
    Score319
      Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
      Idea open for vote Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016  Learn more about voting...

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.

Comments from Instructure

January 2016 update from Allison Weiss

I've begun the process of exploring this with our engineers. In order to arrive at the ability to set different notifications for different courses, we would need to do a fair amount of refactor work around how Notification Preferences are designed as well as how they work behind the scenes. What I would like to do during the next few months is begin some discovery around which notifications are used the most by our users, why they matter, and what action is taken as a result of receiving the notification. I should highlight that this is a big project. I expect that the discovery, research, and design phases by themselves will take several months and that we'll move forward cautiously to ensure that what we build is something we feel good about maintaining long term.

My plan is to archive this thread for now but with the intention of starting a user group in the near future. If anyone here wants to join us in the research around notifications, please email me at allison@instructure.com. I'd love to find a small group of people who are passionate about this aspect of Canvas and would be interested in collaborating during the next 6-12 months.