[New Quizzes] Student Highlight & Annotation Tools for Quizzes

Standardized testing looms large in the minds of all 3-8 grade teachers, in NJ where I work especially,  but also across the country. One of the skills students need to be able to succeed on the PARCC or SBA is to organize their thinking while reading across texts in an online testing environment, in order to write coherent essays and answer multiple choice questions citing text evidence in their answers. We teach them to do that by highlighting portions of the text as they are reading or going back to re-read, so they can use those pieces of evidence in writing their constructed responses. This is what they will be expected to do when they take PARCC or SBA.

We want our teachers to use Canvas to create engaging, meaningful, creative and collaborative learning experiences for students. The unfortunate reality of PARCC and SBA results being tied to teacher evaluations means our teachers also want tools they can use to specifically and directly help students practice for high-stakes testing. Annotation tools would go a long way in that regard. Please consider developing a way for students to highlight text in quizzes.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

80 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

schafferj
Community Novice

I did not see this idea when I posted a similar thought today (3/16/2016).  My students actually made the request so I told them I would send an idea.  I apologize for not seeing this previous post.  We support this idea 100%.

msommer
Community Novice

Thanks! Let's get this voted up!!!

lindsey_carlson
Community Novice

I sent to all my staff to vote for! Hopefully that will result in a few more votes!

mssmith5
Community Novice

This is a great idea... is it just about highlighting?  In my case, I also need students to be able to annotate on a map.  They need to be able to label places and physical features.

msommer
Community Novice

My idea isn’t actually about highlighting in an answer. It’s about being able to highlight the text in questions. However, it would be really useful to be able to upload images of a map or something like that and annotate it as part of answer to a quiz. I think that might be a different type of feature request, though!

Maria Sommer

Curriculum Coordinator

River Vale, NJ Public Schools

617 Westwood Ave

River Vale, NJ 07675

(201) 358 4000 x3103

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

185767_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

ameadows
Community Novice

This is a feature that several of our teachers were requesting in a meeting I was in today. Is the voting for this feature currently open? If so, where do I direct teachers to access the vote?