[Rubrics] Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments

Our nursing and OTA staff are using self-assessments to help students evaluate their confidence in the skills they are learning for certification. The idea is that they can take this assessment and choose if they want to share it, see what things they need to brush up on and reflect on their experiences. Currently they are doing this on paper but as we go to more online course work, they would like to integrate this as an online activity within a course.

The peer review rubric as it is set up now would work, but we also like the model of the tests you take on social media that tell you that you're 90% geek!

Added to Theme

139 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

watersp1
Community Novice

I hope this Feature Idea gains momentum!  I am a third grade teacher and even for young students, taking responsibility for their own learning is very important.  Self-assessments should be integrated throughout any learning experience and using the rubric that is already developed for teacher and peer assessments seems like a simple way to make this happen.  I will be sharing this idea with the few colleagues I know that use Canvas so they can vote for this idea too.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Wow! Only a week in, and there are a lot of votes! Last time an idea like this was open (), it was archived with 44 votes.

As I shared there, I think this would be a great reflection tool. When students grade their own work, they see areas in which they can improve before a teacher or a peer says something. I also like showing students how to compare and contrast their grading to their teachers' and how to use those similarities and differences to start a conversation.

swilson34
Community Contributor

That's another great use of the tool, I think that student and teachers would really benefit from having this tool when they talk about grades.

And the voting numbers make me very happy too.

Stephanie

jim_jeffers
Community Novice

The "truest" form of assessment is an accurate self-assessment. Aren't we as an individual the only person we really 100% trust? So often we leave it to the teacher/parent/expert to provide the only assessment and that only is part of the picture. The more we teach and provide processes for self-assessment, the deeper the learning.

rlawson
Community Novice

This is a great feature request. Please lend your vote to this request so it can make it to the development pipeline. Our nursing and health-related instructors will be delighted to use a feature like this. 

astauche
Community Novice

In nursing for skills and simulation we use an evaluation rubric for student assessment. In addition to our evaluation, a self assessment tool would be VERY beneficial to our students! This will encourage them to critically reflect on their performance and improve our outcomes!

canvashelp7
Community Novice

Would be a valuable general purpose self-assessment tool available for any instructor to include in any subject area.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We are planning on dedicating additional resources to rubrics in the near future. However, not in the next 6 months.  This feature request will likely be part of a larger project around rubrics. We very much appreciate your participation and dialogue around these requests!