[Rubrics] Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments

Our nursing and OTA staff are using self-assessments to help students evaluate their confidence in the skills they are learning for certification. The idea is that they can take this assessment and choose if they want to share it, see what things they need to brush up on and reflect on their experiences. Currently they are doing this on paper but as we go to more online course work, they would like to integrate this as an online activity within a course.

The peer review rubric as it is set up now would work, but we also like the model of the tests you take on social media that tell you that you're 90% geek!

Added to Theme

139 Comments
swilson34
Community Contributor

As the person who originally suggested the idea, I'm glad to see others off and running to make it happen. I can see a lot of interest in this at the K-12 and College level.

watersp
Community Novice

I agree, Stephanie.  I am flabbergasted the ability to self-assess is not already a feature in Canvas.  Self-assessment is such a fundamental part of learning.  There are a number of teachers at my school impatiently waiting for this to be available in Canvas. 

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

My friend Craig Ring is at the pre-conference get together with Mitch McFarlane, SVP of Customer Experience and Product, as well as Rick Hansen, Director - International Customer Success.

Craig is armed with a list of things that he is hoping to get answers on, including this one.

Need to see some action, everyone in my school wants this!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

This is great news! Smiley Happy

swilson34
Community Contributor

Image result for radar mash

emily
Community Champion

Still hoping this goes into production soon! We want our students to self-assess (using rubrics) on over 75 assignments. It would be so nice if they could assess themselves the way they can currently assess peers!

emily
Community Champion

It's been on the radar for 9 months...Any idea if this might be moving to production soon? 

kristian_still
Community Novice

To support investment in this idea, Dylan Wiliam (Emeritus Professor of Educational Assessment at the UCL Institute of Education) recently wrote that he advocates a much more streamlined model of marking that is not only more manageable for teachers, but also allows students to have more ownership over the process:

Dylan: I recommend what I call ‘four quarters marking.’ I think that teachers should mark in detail, 25% of what students do, should skim another 25%, students should then self-assess about 25% with teachers monitoring the quality of that and finally, peer assessment should be the other 25%. It’s a sort of balanced diet of different kinds of marking and assessment.

Canvas currently offers peer and teacher assessment. Adding self-assessment could save literally hours of teacher time and schools money.

lindsey_duerre
Community Novice

I would love to see this happen.  It could be set up just like the peer-review using the rubric and comments however it would be for an individual to assess themselves off of the rubric.