Hide Inactive users when using SpeedGrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When using SpeedGrader to grade assignments, I cannot easily ignore the students who are inactive in the course. They're authorized users or individuals who have since dropped the course that my university has decided to maintain as members, but they muck up grading and force me to carefully scroll through many more students than those who are actually to be graded. Can such a feature be implemented?

9 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission, gmb223​. Have you tried different sort of the student list in SpeedGrader? How do I sort Assignments in SpeedGrader? Does that help push the inactive users to the bottom?

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi gmb223

In SpeedGrader, I use the "Sort Student List by submission Status" all the time. It places students who have not submitted, including inactive students, to the bottom of the list. At that point, you can decide to give them a zero or just ignore them.

Very handy, and really speeds up my workflow.

KLM

alh245
Community Participant

We need this too!

Inactive students take time for Faculty to sort thru in Speedgrader.

Another way to work-around to sort is to turn on Anonymous Grading (under Settings  > Feature Options > Anonymous Grading)

Then in Speedgrader, the students who submitted are listed at the top.

The instructor can grade them.

Then go back to Gradebook and select "set Default Grade" to be Zero for that Assignment and it will give a zero to all students who were not already given a grade.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

185571_pastedImage_2.pngWhere'd you go? We haven't heard from you in 2 weeks?

For now, this idea will be archived due to no response. If you would like this idea to be reconsidered, please provide the feedback requested along with examples and use cases. Then be sure to @mention me or anyone on the communityteam (by typing '@' symbol plus a name to notify one of us) and we would be happy to bring it back into the feature process rotation!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

gmb223 and  @alh245 ​, you might be interested in knowing that in the Canvas Production Release of 6/4/2016, inactive students will be designated as such in the SpeedGrader.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-06)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to gmb223 for submitting this idea, as well as,  @alh245  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed