Make Course Menu Sticky

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) - Instructure Community

I know this was already created as an idea a couple of times already but I'd like to open it up again as a new idea. With the recent changes to the Canvas layout it might be a good idea to revisit this.

When scrolling down in a course the course menu will disappear. See screen shots. In the first one you can see that the menu is present.

192784_Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.06.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.06.59 AM.png

192797_Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.07.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.07.46 AM.png

In the second one you can see the menu is gone. This is very cumbersome especially when on the modules screen or another screen that is really long. I'd like to have the course menu be in a sticky position to the left like it was before.

Please also refer to this closely related idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5489-freeze-top-left-and-side-banners-of-canvas

60 Comments
smurrewolf
Community Novice

I agree with Joe; this would be very helpful.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

193393_pastedImage_3.pngThank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to the following ideas:

All of the above were submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers as well.

jdesiderio
Community Novice

Thanks! I just posted links in all of those ideas to this idea. Hopefully we can get it done this time. 

Joe

tdarrow
Community Contributor

This would be an amazing feature in Canvas. I am wholeheartedly on board!

tfreund
Community Novice

Great idea!

ezaurova
Community Participant

This is one of those things that I get annoyed by every day, but not enough to come here and post a feature request.  Thank you for taking the time to do so!

jdesiderio
Community Novice

Everyone, that's commented on this the idea is open for voting. If you haven't already voted it up please consider doing so.  Thanks!

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Our courses are structured via Modules which can get quite long when designing a 12-week course.  In some courses, the menu disappears while still on the course resources module (the first module!)!   Having a sticky menu would be great as it would eliminate all of the scrolling back and forth.

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

Yesterday in a course I'm in, somebody posted that they couldn't get into Module 2; had the menu been sticky I'm confident they'd not have had to holler out for help.  

SHEBENE
Community Champion

This is definitely an annoying thing. +1 from me and I'm trying to drum up some more votes. Time is winding down!