Exported gradebook should match filters on the grade screen

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-07-07).

On the "Grades" screen you can filter the students who appear on the screen so that it only shows active students or only shows a particular section of a merged class.  However, the exported gradebook csv file shows everybody (active, inactice, all sections and so forth).  The exported gradebook should recognize the filters used in the grade screen.

I noticed that parts of this have already been requested.  For example. there has been requests that only active students are in the csv file or only individual sections should be exported.  If the exported csv matches what is seen on the screen this will take care of all these issues.

33 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea. I recommend that you look for those other, similar, ideas and encourage those supporters to come over here and support your suggestion!

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. August 3, 2016 - Wed. November 2, 2016. Smiley Wink

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

This will be a good feature. However, I'm wondering how I will know what filters I had on the screen when I go back and look at the exported files?  I frequently export my gradebook throughout the term for documentation and backup purposes. When I open up a previous file, how will I know if this is the one that had inactive students off or if it's just for a specific section. Yes, I could include that info in the file name, but I don't want to rely on that.

It would be so helpful if there was a column that indicated the students enrollment status (active, inactive, concluded), section name, and other pertinent data.  That way I know what data was filtered in/out.

Does anyone have another suggestion how the exported file indicates what data was filtered? I'd like to hear your ideas.

cxy11
Community Novice

It appears part of the issue is now fixed.  When I tried it today, I found that if you don't click on anything it only shows active students.  You only get inactive students if you click on show inactive students.

It still doesn't recognize the Section filter but otherwise a fixed seem to have been implemented.

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

It seems that this request is functionally linked to these identical requests:

(archived, 71 votes)

(archived, 50 votes)

I had a conversation with a teacher this morning who was describing the frustration related to her .csv exports not reflecting the columns-order in the gradebook UI. Imagine how many votes this request might have if it was more comprehensive related to the desired customization options for gradebook exports? @kcorp ​

Instructure, do I really have to create a 3rd iteration of the two archived requests above, or can this existing and open feature discussion also include this need?

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Are the filtered students tagged, labeled, or grouped so they can be excluded from the CSV after its imported into a spreadsheet?

kmatson
Community Explorer

For large lecture courses having this functionality if very important.
When we show one section and go to the export can it just export that one section? When there are 500 students in a course and you want to export just one section we need that to just export the one as pulling 25 names out of 500 is difficult. We would also like the message students who functionality to work by section. So any functionality in the grades - message students who, set default grade, and download submissions.

Karen Matson

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

207467_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

cxy11
Community Novice

Its okay. My main concern was to have the exported gradebook file only show active students and that was corrected while this request was up for voting.

Thanks,

Chcuck

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

A similar idea has resurfaced and will be open for voting on December 7, 2016: " style="color: #2989c5;

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.