cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

ALLY

Is anyone here familiar with Ally, the accessibility checker? The Open Education Initiative (OEI) in California is rolling this out soon and I would love to hear some reviews.

Mark

34 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

If you're referring to Ally - Making course content accessible, UCF is in the final stages of setting up a pilot.  I'll be sure to post our impressions when we've had a chance to put it through its paces.

Highlighted

Thank you @Jacob Bates.

Highlighted
Learner II

We recently setup the pilot at Utah State and have been really impressed with what we have seen so far.

The service consists of two major tools:

1. The first one is a reporting tool that evaluates your content and provides an accessibility score on files that you can look at by course, by file type and over different periods of time.
  2. The other part is a remediation tool that automatically improves some of your files and provides alternative formats where possible.

Right now we only have the reporting tool setup.  The Ally team is working through some implementation details with the remediation tool that they hope to have resolved soon.

That said, even just having the reporting has already been very helpful and provided some great insight into where we are at and where we need to focus some of our improvement efforts. We are going to be using the course level reporting tool to prepare for fall semester. I don't know how much it was the intent of the developers, but it had an effect on my of gamifying the work that we do to make our content more accessible with the goal of making each semester better than the last.

The Ally team has been very responsive to feedback and seem to have a good understanding of the problem they are trying to solve. I'll try to remember to revisit this thread once the remediation tool gets setup.

Highlighted

christopher.phillips@usu.edu​, thank you for this information. I think just having the reporting tool would be heaven. I'm looking forward to hearing about the remediation tool.

Highlighted

christopher.phillips@usu.edu‌ are you still using Ally and if so, how is the remediation tool?

Kari

Highlighted

We have been using Ally with the remediation tools available for about a month and have generally been pleased with what they are doing. It is not a magic bullet, but the user experience they have created does a good job of clarifying what they are able to do or not. The OCR they do is great, but for now there are still a number of remediation issues that need to be manually. That said, they do provide helpful workflows to assist faculty or others with that remediation process. 

Ally has been very responsive to feedback and they are doing a good job in listening to feedback and providing frequent releases. The product is useful as it is, but I anticipate the remediation features getting better and better over time. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Does anyone know how to add Ally to a Canvas Course?  Is it available in the free version or is it only in the paid?

Thanks!
Joseph

Highlighted

There is no free version. You need to work with the Blackboard Ally team to install it on your instance of Canvas. 

Highlighted

That makes sense.  By free, I was actually talking about the free version of Canvas not Ally.  Do you know if it is possible to get Ally added to a course using the free version of Canvas?