cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Accessibility Checker in the Rich Content Editor

There is some exciting news today in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-10-16), Canvas is introducing an accessibility checker in the Rich Text Editor that will be available for everyone. 

Rich Text Editor toolbar with Accessibility Checker icon highlighted.

The announcement shares some additional details as well as information about what items it checks for. This will be a great resource for encouraging more accessible course content! 

12 Replies
Highlighted

There is already some good discussion already happening on the Accessibility Checker in the comments of the announcement. In addition, there will be a collaborative chat about the beta release on Wednesday, October 18th for anyone that is interested. 

Highlighted
Surveyor

I had such high hopes for this accessibility checker, but it has a lot of issues in its current state. I hope the team will take into consideration the many suggestions for fixes that have been posted as comments on the release announcement. Otherwise I'm afraid it is going to cause more confusion than anything else.

Highlighted
Learner II

I just posted a Feature Idea that was discussed at the Beta Release Notes (2017-10-16) Collaborative Chat‌. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I'd like to get your feedback. If this is a tool that you think would help increase Accessibility Compliance and make your workflow more efficient, please "vote up."

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9958-tool-to-check-accessibility-at-the-course-level?sr=search...

It expands on the idea of the new Accessibility Checker tool (currently in Beta) that christopher.phillips@usu.edu‌ mentioned. Think about the reports available in UDOIT and expand on that to make it even better and more integrated with Canvas.

Highlighted
Community Member

Folks (and kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu especially!) you really should weigh in again on this in the current Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-28) .  A few voices more authoritative than mine need to be heard, and this needs to be tested by more capable people, but I really really believe this is not ready for prime time, and it's rather disheartening that they seem to be pushing it out. 

A great idea...and a long-overdue one.  But it really needs to be done well first.

Highlighted
Surveyor

I just ran it again with an image with a blank Alt Text field, and I just get a spinning wheel. Surely that is not acceptable behavior to Instructure?

Highlighted

Agreed that there are some issues with it, but it also sounds like they are actively working on it. I think feedback in the community is great, but also be sure to submit support tickets for the problems you come across! 

Highlighted
Explorer

kblack@dom.edu

There are few voices in this Community more "capable" than you, but I do agree.

This item is clearly not living up to its stated description, and will not meet the needs of most users. Just the failures in header levels, and Alt text make it less than satisfactory.

I think that an accessibility checker for low-tech folks that misses too many things is actually worse than no accessibility checker. Many of my faculty will run it and say, "Coolensses, my work is done", when in reality it is far from done.

I haven't had time to more extensively test it because we have an onsite accreditation visit this week, and prep has consumed the last two weeks.

Kelley

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu, but I definitely bow to your knowledge with accessibility issues!  Oh, and good luck with the accreditation!

Highlighted
Navigator

Hi, all,

Production notes are issued to identify what features are being put into production. For the Accessibility Checker, beta release notes indicated that our engineering and product teams were reviewing all feedback. Putting a feature into production means that our product and engineering teams have reviewed the feature and feedback and will make necessary changes in time for the release. You will not see any changes in the beta environment just yet as no new updates have been made directly to the beta environment and may not be for a day or two. 

After the production release, should you feel like something is still amiss, you're welcome to submit a support case for additional review.

Thank you!

Erin