cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

How do I increase one teachers file capacity and not increase all teachers?

I increased it from the regular 500 mb to 999 mb and he's already filled that up.  Now what do I do?

10 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Gina.Hutchens@yadkin.k12.nc.us, what is the instructor filling the course up with? Video? Audio? What we tell our faculty is to upload large content like this somewhere else and then link it in to Canvas. A few examples of places they can upload content include YouTube (they can make it private), GoogleDrive (limit who can do what with the content), and DropBox. In addition, you might want to check with your Technical Services department at your Institution, I know for us we have a video server and large file repository that faculty can use to host their content.

Learner II

In addition to our on-site video server (which got pretty full pretty quickly), we have been using an off-site streaming video repository Website most often the past couple of years called "Wistia". What our office does it get the videos from the faculty/staff member and convert it to MP4 format, then use a compression program to make it a more compact file size, and then upload it to the Wistia site. We then give the Wistia video link to the instructor or staff member needing it, and the video streams from the Wistia site. It takes up a LOT less space in a Canvas course!

Adventurer

Are you just looking for increasing the one course's file storage? That can be adjusted for the individual course in Settings ...

110134_pastedImage_0.png

Community Coach
Community Coach

When we first transitioned to Canvas, we were told that file storage capacity was a non-issue, and we took that to heart. We currently have several classrooms set to 2500 MB, and a few that are higher.

As Ira demonstrated above, simply go into the course Settings, and raise the bar!

It may be that Canvas has actually set a practical limit of 2.6 GB, as noted by a small entry at the bottom of the Files Manager in a course as shown below...

file_storage.png

Then on the Course Statistics page, you will see the max listed as 2.44 GB as shown in the image below...

File_Storage_2.png

I hope this relieves any anxiety about raising the limit in a classroom.

Our biggest concern is what if (like when Canvas goes public and has to answer to stockholders) at some point they do start charging for going above the standard data usage? It's a lot harder to scale back when that's what everyone is use to. Because of this we do up the limit occasionally for some courses, but overall recommend that faculty upload large files and video to alternative hosting sites and then link them in to Canvas.

Good points, Kona, but I will cross that bridge when we get there, and since I am old I can always hope to be retired by the - yah, like that is gonna happen. I'll probably leave my job when they pry my cold dead fingers from my key board:smileysilly:

However, your reply did conjure up a wonderful image in my mind of a bunch of very serious and mature stockholders trying to reign in the Mountain Dew crowd that is Instructure.

Yes just that one course.  I've got great responses.  Thanks!

At this time the instructor is basically uploading all of the course files that he teaches with.  Then going back and cleaning up as he's teaching.  He was afraid he would lose the flash drive and was not familiar enough yet with the Google Drive to find everything so this was easier than training two different things at once.

It's all good now.  He's transitioning nicely and helping four others.

This is exactly what we do as well. On rare occasions, we will increase the limit for a course, but we usually encourage the faculty member to use the excellent Box integration we provide for large files (up to 50GB storage) or the Kaltura integration we provide for media.  So far, those two options have worked great for most people. 

It also allows us to have a conversation about best practices -- particularly as it relates to scanning journal articles or uploading PowerPoints with 1200dpi scanned images.  Having the lower course quota lets us remind faculty that the library will help take care of any copyright issues and will provide electronic reserve copies of that journal article so they don't have to worry about violating copyright.  Showing people the "Compress Images" option in PowerPoint also blows many of their minds when suddenly that 600MB PowerPoint file becomes a 7MB file with compressed images.