Change Rubric Positioning

Jump to solution
erik_gustafson
Community Participant

I had a consult with a faculty member, and he mentioned the placement of the rubric on the Assignment page in Student View because it is not in an optimal location. 

If a faculty member has a detailed assignment description and a lengthy rubric, then the assignment page become very long and cumbersome, especially when the assignment submission area is below the rubric placing. This means the students has to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page before they can get to the submission area.

In an earlier iteration of this feature, the rubric was a separate tab students could click to view. I'm not sure if that is possible to go back to, but the current state is not good. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Solutions
b_w_reid
Community Participant

Hi @erik_gustafson,

The rubric is collapsible, students can minimise this should they wish to. We fed back on this development citing that Rubrics should be available inline with the submission. Students should'nt have to alternate tabs to see the requirements of the coursework before they submit. The submission details or description are also collapsible. So that if the students wants to they can hide all this information. 

View solution in original post

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

That is correct. As @b_w_reid mentioned, this adjustment was made based on feedback from users who would prefer that the rubric be inline with the assignment details so that students do not simply ignore the rubric as they often did when on a separate tab. Given that rubrics provide valuable information to students regarding the expectations of the assignment, it is imperative they review the information and it is best when that is done prior to them starting their submission. The new placement with collapsible sections has been met with great positive response by others who are using Assignment Enhancements. 

0 Likes
erik_gustafson
Community Participant

That is understandable. The rubric is important for the assignment.

What about reordering the placement on the page. Could the rubric be placed below the submission area as it appears for faculty when creating the assignment. This wouldn't move the rubric to a new tab but place the submission area in a location that is more prominent and easier to locate.

0 Likes

It is also not possible to rearrange the order of the criteria within a rubric, right? In other words, you have to write them all one by one if you want to change or add one criteria. Or is there another option?

0 Likes
b_w_reid
Community Participant

Hi @DanielVR , I think you're absolutely right, the creation of rubrics, isn't as easy as you might expect. Moving and reordering things around can be problematic. These sorts of developments however don't really fit in with these recent assignment enhancements - as these are student facing. They tie in more with the creation of assignments and rubrics. It might be worth adding your comments to the general community if there isn't an idea already. I'd be happy to vote on it!

0 Likes

@b_w_reid, your response here is spot on! And, while the work to update rubrics does not fit nicely with the Assignment Enhancements work, it is definitely something that is on my radar and that I've looked at with one of our designers. That work is not currently prioritized, but may be something we could do in the future.