Cross-listing vs sections vs groups--What are the functional differences?

Jump to solution
jlubkinchavez
Community Contributor

I'm trying to better understand the difference between adding a section to a course in course settings, cross-listing a course, and creating groups in a course. My understanding is that one big difference is whether you want students to be able to see/communicate with all students across all related courses; if you don't...cross-listing with that option disabled is the way to go, right? And groups have dedicated group workspaces. What other differences are there, particularly in terms of what instructors or students are able to do/see. Any of these would give me the ability to message or assign work to a particular group of students; are there any differences? What other options do I have, based on the route I choose, for creating a differentiated Canvas experience for different cohorts of students?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

@checkma ‌ True, they are both just sets of students, but also true that Canvas has different functionality around each--and that was the spirit of my question. Just to clarify on your point, if you are an admin with SIS Import privileges, you can add students in bulk to either groups or sections (How do I format CSV text files for uploading SIS data into a Canvas account?); you're right that teachers have more limitations around sections.

View solution in original post

0 Likes