cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rislis
Community Champion

District Calendar

A teacher asks, " Are you going to put District dates and such on the canvas calendar or is that all entered by me?" 

Does this mean as an admin that I have a responsibility to create a district calendar? Still a rookie, here. Have looked at several conversations, but not getting the answer I need.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
13 Replies
rake_9
Community Champion

I work in a very different context, but I would think that whether you have this responsibility is a local decision.  Do all the district dates need to be in Canvas? Or is that just this one user's expectations? That being said, I'm thinking through what would be involved. 

I believe you would need to have everyone who needs to see the dates enrolled in same course from which the dates are added to the calendar.  That is, I do not  believe there is a generic "all [instance] Canvas users" calendar.  If such a thing exists, I'd love to know about it.

So, in addition to managing all the dates, you'd also need to make sure your enrollments in the course were always up-to-date.

On the positive side, if you did have all your faculty & staff together in a course, there might be other useful things you could do: announcements, resources, discussion, etc.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We created a course for all faculty and another for all students. It's the calendar for these courses that we add our Institution wide information. It works pretty well, except when faculty also add it to their individual courses and it looks like a duplicate to students. 

RobDitto
Community Champion

There is a great feature idea about adding to Canvas a way to do this which doesn't depend on enrolling everyone in a course:

rislis
Community Champion

Yes, I found this and commented on it. Wish it would happen! Thanks!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@rislis ‌,  @RobDitto ‌, I had put this suggestion in the comments under the feature idea linked above. Full disclosure: I haven't had occasion to deploy it myself, but I wonder if anyone has investigated using this solution to populate an entire district's calendars with events:

... I wonder if anyone has used the REST API solution described by Jeffrey Anderson MC Admin  at InstructureCon 2013 to populate all published courses with a global event: Adventures with the Canvas REST API (YouTube, 29:14--the part about putting an event on all published courses is at around the 16-minute mark)?

I'm also going to tag  @ryan_corris  on this, because earlier this year he mentioned that he'd check it out. Ryan, did you have a chance to try this, and what were the results?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The only potential issue I can see with this is that the student would then see School Closed 2, 3, 4, etc... times on their Canvas Calendar. So once for each course is ok if the students are only in one course. As soon as they start taking more than once, which I'm assuming most do, wouldn't that start clogging up the calendar?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

I'm not sure,  @kona ‌; that's the same hypothetical issue Ryan brought up, so I was wondering if he found a way around it.

We have tried to look at many different aspects of how to include district events on calendars.  Our district has not found a satisfactory way to add them.  While it would be nice to have district events automatically show up on the calendar without having to include them with every course calendar (meaning same event(s) on calendar many times), we just decided that course events would be included in course calendars.  Maybe something will change in the future. 

rswengel
Community Contributor

IF that is done by someone on the district level, that calendar should be a separate calendar just as every course calendar is separate.  That would allow someone to choose to add that calendar view among the others in the list. Forcing those events into the default calendar creates a very crowded calendar for students who must use Canvas for multiple classes.