importing grades in the gradebook

Jump to solution
dtoups
Community Member

When importing grades via CSV file into the gradebook, does the import action overwrite the allowable fields, or does it just add or revise the contents of those fields? As context, let's say:

1. At 10 AM, I export a gradebook in order to batch-enter grades for a manually-graded assignment. In the exported gradebook, a student ("Maria") has not yet completed an auto-graded activity; therefore, the field that captures that grade is empty.
  2. At 10:05 AM, Maria completes the auto-graded assignment mentioned above.
  3. At 10:15 AM, I import the modified CSV file.

My question: Does the imported CSV overwrite Maria's grade for that assignment (replacing her score with an empty field)? Or does the CSV simply affect fields in which there is data in the imported CSV?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@dtoups In theory, the CSV import is a complete replace however during the import process you are presented a screen showing you all the changes so you can see that Maria currently has score and the import is going to change it.  This screen allows you to not override that field (this is an option per change) or switch the import to have the same score so you override it but with the same score.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Nick

View solution in original post